Sunday, December 13, 2009

Week 5

Gardner-Webb has a tough week. First they travel to Cameron Indoor to take on Duke, then two days later they welcome the beloved James Madison Fighting Duke Dogs. Think they're so focused on JMU that they'll look past Duke? I do.

9 comments:

Matt. said...

1- Texas
2- Kansas
3- Syracuse
4- Michigan State
5- West Virginia
6- Kentucky
7- Tennessee
8- North Carolina
9- Villanova
10- Purdue
11- Duke
12- Georgetown
13- Kansas State
14- Gonzaga
15- Florida
16- New Mexico

It's the only time anyone will ever rank New Mexico so I had to do it.

Florida gets the nod over UCONN on sole basis that they defeated Michigan State at a neutral.

The Pac 10 gave us an entire weekend of reminding everyone that htey are a mid major conference this year.

S. Hartzell said...

1 Kansas
2 Texas
3 Kentucky
4 Purdue
5 Villanova
6 West Virginia
7 Syracuse
8 Duke
9 North Carolina
10 Tennessee
11 Florida
12 Michigan State
13 Georgetown
14 Georgia Tech
15 Connecticut
16 UNLV

Lux said...

1. Texas
2. Kansas
3. Mich St
4. WVU
5. Purdue
6. Kentucky
7. Syracuse
8. UNC
9. Villanova
10. Duke
11. Tenn
12. Florida
13. Georgetown
14. Gonzaga
15. Kansas St
16. UConn

Some good games next weekend. Texas v UNC, Kansas v Mich, Duke v Zaga, Fl v Spiders (very curious to see this line) and a few others.

Wow Hartzell, you are really punishing Mich St. I mean do you think they are worse than Duke? If you weren't so caught up on football and were watching these games you would have Mich St closer to your top 4.

S. Hartzell said...

Respectfully, Lux, Michigan State just came off a week when they beat Wofford and Oakland. Sparty has had two premiere games in the early season, against my Gators and at UNC and they've lost both. It is my belief that every team ahead of Michigan State on my power 16 can beat Izzo's boys, so yes, I stand by my decision. This has nothing to do with football season.

Besides, I have tried to convey in my poll that Purdue is my lean in the Big 10 this year. That's an impressive win coming from 18 points down in the second half of a true road game against Anthony Grant's Alabama team over the weekend.

It's early but I tihnk GaTech is a sleeper team in a down ACC this year

Lux said...

Do you really want to do this Hartzell?

Nova just lost to Temple this week. I think that's a lot worse than losing to UNC on the road. Also, Duke lost to Wisconsin. So lets say those losses are even on par with UNC and Florida, don't you think we should give the benefit of the doubt to the team that lost in the championship last year since the team is almost identical this year?

I'm also biased because if Mich St doesn't win the Big 10 and go far in the tourney, Matty and I won't win the season long pool.

Matt. said...

Stephen, it is clear you are not prepared for this. As Lux already mentioned you have a team that lost to Temple in your Top 5. I do not care that it was a Big 5 game, there are plenty of teams better than Villanova thus far. (See my poll). Additionally, you are a week late on UNLV as they got clobbered by K-State at home.

That just shows you that you cannot look at my poll from last week in preparing for this week.

I join my comrade Lux in admitting that I will have a bias towards Michigan State all year. But you've got to catch up.

You can't be so busy with some poor bowl game against Wisconsin is it? Exhibition.

S. Hartzell said...

The United States is playing the Netherlands in an international friendly (warmup for the World Cup) in Amsterdam on March 3. I bring this up because I would love to recreate March Madness of a different kind (pardon my pun) and this would be a SICK midweek trip. Shouldn't interfere with a whole lot of college basketball stateside, we'll leave on a Monday, get back on a Friday in time for the weekend. What do you say, fellas? Let's live a little.

S. Hartzell said...

two best teams in the NCAA this year play in the BigXII. I'll give Syracuse credit where it's due, but they are not better than Kansas or Texas. Neither is Kentucky. We should all pat ourselves on the back for having it right unanimously in our top two.

Lux said...

If they straighten out their terrible free throw shooting, Texas could go undefeated. They only play Kansas once and it's at home.

Mich St vs Texas this Tuesday at 7.