Sunday, February 15, 2009

week 14

Has the whole world gone crazy!

24 comments:

Matt. said...

1- UConn
2- North Carolina
3- Oklahoma
4- Pittsburgh
5- Michigan State
6- Memphis
7- Louisville
8- Arizona State
9- Villanova
10- Missouri
11- Marquette
12- Kansas
13- Duke
14- Gonzaga
15- UCLA
16- Purdon't

And again I am going to insert Purdon't and they will consequently lose this week.

Lots of teams moving up and down this week. If this is all happening five weeks out, it's only going to get crazier as we approach the Bracket.

I got UConn tonight even without Dyson. I'm very interested to see how this affects their gameplan.

I'm also quite intrigued to see everyone's polls.

Lux said...

1- UNC
2- Gonzaga
3- Oklahoma
4- Pitt
5- UConn
6- Lville
7- Memphis
8- Texas
9- Mich St
10- WVU
11- Duke
12- Arizona St
13- Villanova
14- Purdue
15- Arizona
16- Missouri

I'm glad I know longer need to look at XXXXX.

M. Drury said...

Interesting Weekend in Hoops:

1. UNC
2. UConn
3. Oklahoma
4. Pitt
5. Mich St
6. Memphis
7. Zags
8. Duke
9. Lville
10. Marquette
11. Az St
12. Nova
13. Wake
14. Mizzou
15. Illini
16. Washington

Matt is Mizzou really at 10...I know they have been hot, but placing them at 10 might be a bit high....you are going to tell me that are a better team than Marquette, Duke and Gonzaga?

S. Hartzell said...

Good to see I'm not the only one posting in the mid-afternoon. Matt needs to get some eyedrops cause he's stil blowing the boilermakers.

1-NorthCarolina
2-Connecticut
3-Oklahoma
4-Pittsburgh
5-Louisville
6-MichiganState
7-Memphis
8-ArizonaState
9-UCLA
10-Villanova
11-Marquette
12-Duke
13-Kansas
14-Gonzaga
15-Wake Forest
16-Missouri

Lux did you make a mistake on UCLA or are you back on the pipe with Arizona? Gotta get the lowdown from my authority on the pac-10, who from the looks of his latest poll, is getting some of the designer drugs that conference is famous for.

M. Drury said...

Also...I am working on possible being able to get acc tourney tickets if you are interested....I will know thursday if i can get tickets in the lower level...similar to our seats at both regionals. anyone interested

S. Hartzell said...

I looked into it Dru, and as good of a deal it is over the entire 11-game package, I'm gonna have to pass. I just dont want to spend my entire weekend--which is ample--in the not-so-friendly confines of the Georgia Dome.

Speaking of which, I'm just going to throw it out there: Athens GA is willing to host March Madness this year, to all of those who are willing to make the pilgrimage. Matt is going to need a passport to get out of Candada, eh? Will that Harrisonburg arrest back in '02 mean you cant re-enter the country yet?

Eyedrops.

Lux said...

"Arizona is playing great," UCLA coach Ben Howland said. "They are the hottest team in our conference and probably playing as well as anybody in the conference."

Hartzell, we all know Arizona has the talent and it looks like they finally have their act together. UCLA on the other hand, not a team you want to build a bracket around right now.

Speaking of designer drugs, most wouldn't consider it normal to drop a team from 10 to 9 when they go 0 and 2 for the week?

Believe it or not boys, I think I have to be in London for the opening rounds.

Matt. said...

Lux you really have Gonzaga at 2? Thats what you really put down? Its not a joke? I'm so very confused, and Texas....Texas? They almost got beat by Colorado, which is very much like losing to Colorado. Jesus man, there's no way they are a Top 8 team in the country.

Right now I am willing to say that Missouri is better than Duke, Gonzaga, and Marquette. Why did Lux and Dur move Zaga up (well I'm not worried about Lux, he's off the deep end...of the Pacific) so much for just about blowing it to a mediocre NIT-bound St. Mary's and then barely holding on against the Dons, maybe the worst team in D1. I guess major points for WCC road games? Duke has clearly been exposed several times, and the recipe for their demise is being circulated to every 12,13,14 seeded team in the nation. Early exit Coach K. Marquette got blown out by Villa-No-Fun and is struggling against the upper eschelon BE teams.

Mizzou wins games. Very hot team right now, and while everyone loses, they win.

Stephen, the only problem I have with your list is UCLA at 9. That seems high for a team that went into the state of Arizona, and was manhandled consecutively. I struggled with them at 15, but 9...how do you live with yourself.

Overall Hartzell appears to have broken out of his midseason funk. Looking for a strong finish, thats a lot of "Eyedrop" references though, especially coming from someone who has singlehandedly kept Visine afloat through these very tough economic times.

Dude give me the marker, I'm marking it an 8.

Lux said...

Matt, we can talk about my Texas pick after the OU game this Saturday. That god awful Colorado team only lost by 5 points to OU on the road by the way. The problem with looking at the Big 12 right now is that most of the top teams haven't played yet. Texas hasn't played Kansas and OU hasn't played Missouri or Kansas.

As far as Gonzaga, I had questions about pretty much everyone in my top 10 but I had less questions about Gonzaga. They have 6 experienced guys that are very capable of scoring 20+ on any given night. They are actually playing defense, good defense I might add. They have something to prove and every other team on our list have problems which aren't as clear as they should appear because of lopsided schedules:

1. Oklahoma hasn't had to play a tough team on the road yet.
2. Mich St plays incredible ball but they've lost AT HOME to Northeastern and Penn St within the last few weeks.
3. UConn has a serious injury that knocked them out of the 2 spot for me.
4. UNC still struggles on defense.

I could go on but didn't you rank St Mary's somewhat recently Matt? Now they are a team for you to rag on?

Lux said...

Guys, how does it feel to have your 5 pick +2.5 tonight?

S. Hartzell said...

I will side with Lux on the RedRiverRivalry, I think he's right on there. Texas hosts everyone's golden boy with Oklahoma and the consensus POY Blake Griffin this Saturday in Austin and the Sooners will go down. They have to. Or else I am willing to admit that I'm wrong on Texas and have been all season. But when they're defending well and Abrams is hitting 3s Texas is a final four team, I've seen it in spurts this season.

Oklahoma is like the Marquette of the BigXII in that they havent played anyone tough in conference on the road. The only difference is that unlike Marquette, the Sooners still haven't lost gimmes.

Matt. said...

Lux, I had St. Mary's ranked 6 weeks ago, when they were healthy, and hadn't either choked in games they should have won, or played so sloppily that I had to re-examine them.

I will be rooting for the Horns on Saturday, but even if they do win that game I don't think that makes them the 8th best team in the nation. Did you watch that game last night? Texas A&M isn't that good. They are 5-5 in their last 10, with two of the losses coming at home (K-State, Mizzou), and two on the road in very winnable environments (TAMU, Nebraska). You've got to beat middle of the road teams in order to be considered elite. At least in my opinion.

The Big 12 is a 4 bid league at best (how the SEC will get more is beyond me) and you have to do better than 6-5. Win games at home against the middle and lower teams in your league. Its a pretty simple strategy, and you have to seriously question teams that can't do that. What is wrong with the Big XII schedule makers? How can they justify that terrible league schedule.

Next two games are big for OU. The sad reality is that IF they do go into Austin and defeat the Hook Em, then they'll be Number 1 in the country. I don't believe that anyone here thinks they are actually at that level.

Blake Griffin is amazing though.

Are you basing the WVU at 10th pick because of the first half against Villanova on Friday? Its not by their 3-5 record in their last 8 games right? I agree that win was impressive, and its the best W that Huggy's-Eers have this year, but they've only beat one other Tourney team (Ohio State). I don't know, I'm looking for more from the 10th best team in the nation.

Lux said...

Matt, you can't get on me about my 10th pick when your 9 pick was just mandhandled by them.

Let's talk about Villanova though, they only have one solid win and it was at home. Do you see something I don't?

In terms of WVU, they finally started playing nasty white boy basketball. They're over their injuries and probably won't lose another game until the conference tournament.

Matt. said...

Last week you made a comment about how Texas has been in every game this year (save the OU game), and that can also be said for Villanova. Nova has wins against Pitt, Syracuse, Marquette, as well as some solid other BE games that they won. They've only lost to NCAA bound teams, and as I mentioned before have been in every game they've played (save the WVU game which was a must have for the Eers).

Villanova would beat Gonzaga on a neutral court. Just saying.

S. Hartzell said...

Luxey Baby you're getting eating alive by the flesh eating virus living on the US/Canada dressed entirely in orange. Not convict orange either, though he's had a nasty brush with the law at a young age. Hardened him.


Matt is there any talk about the coach-in-waiting for Cuse (name eludes me) to rise up and take over the reigns this offseason after another deflating final 15? Is Boeheim going to blame the fatigue on his inclusion to the Beijing Olympics team? Just like Donnie, by the way, completely out of his element.

Lux said...

How am I getting eaten alive? So Matt considers Marquette and Syracuse to be quality wins, big surprise there.

Still waiting for any kind of explanation for your UCLA ranking though bud. I guess they just must have looked really good losing.

You never responded to my text, I'm hurt.

S. Hartzell said...

bottom line, Lux, since I know that's something you can relate to these days, bottom line:

UCLA beats my 10-16 teams on a neutral court. Darren Collison and Ben Howland are as highly respected as a team can be in my poll, and guess what, 3 straight final fours will do that to you. I could still see the bruins go out and win the pac10 tourney and just work the sundevils in round 3. Plus I have a UCLA hoody that i really like, I brought Matt one for March Madness last year remember? I didn't know they make xxxl sweaters but man you could sleep in that thing

Matt. said...

Both Syracuse and Marquette are better wins than Gonzaga has on their entire schedule. Both teams ate up WVU's young as well (well what was left after a drunken Huggy Bear got his).

I'm taking a lot of shots from Stephen lately for some reason. No idea where this is coming from. What gives Stephen?

Hopkins is the coach in waiting. And no, Boeheim's got this thing under control. This team is getting healthy now, and could potentially win out (got a Senior Day against Marquette).

I do like that UCLA sweatshirt though, its nice. Better than a Duke shitting shirt.

Lux said...

The Dukes lost a heartbreaker last night at Hofstra.

M. Drury said...

Bracketbuster Sat:

Some bit games on tap all day long.

Thoughts on who needs to make the biggest statement:

Butler Davidson game playing for a (7 10 game instead on 8 9 or 5 12)

Hookem, looking to save their season if they can win tonight aganist team Griffin

Utah St gets it second real test of the year going to St Mary's...do the Gael's have enough to pull out the win without Patty Mills

G-town going to Marquette or Team Goody going to the Thug den in providence....both games have a big impact on how many teams will get in the dance from the big east.


Enjoy the day gentlemen;

On a side note I will be making a guest appearance in Harrisonburg to watch Roanoke College v EMU in a women's basketball showcase.

I will put a brick in Candy Blatts car window for Hartzell, Matt, and Danno.

Good Day

S. Hartzell said...

Steph never should have played against Butler today, clearly out of his element, had more turnovers-7 than field goals-6 and Davidson was never really in it.

I still think they'll get in without winning the SoCon tournament but they are not worthy of an 11 or better seed for the big dance.

Texas is in must-win mode for this Oklahoma game and I think they get the win on their home floor tonight. We've all been high on the Longhorns at various points this season, and I'm not giving up on Rick Barnes just yet.

On the flip side of things, if Blake Griffin goes off tonight and the Sooners pull out this road win in Austin, they are the #1 overall seed for the big dance. The remaining schedule is not that daunting, this is it for tough road games if you're Oklahoma. I'd hate to see it because I havent been buying boomer sooner all year, plus the big 12 as a conference is down, they're looking at 4 bids right now.

Also love to see JMU get back on track tonight against lowly Gardner and Webb at home in the rocking Convocation Center. That Hofstra loss was a 2OT heartbreaker in the midweek, but delinquents it should be noted they covered +3.5 as the road 'dog

Matt. said...

Griffin is done for the night, so who does that hurt more? If Hook Em wins, it will be tainted, and if OU loses they won't be Number 1. We will find out a lot about these two teams in the next 20 minutes.

Sir Glockenspiel said...

i heard matt is secretly growing a tiny ponytail

M. Drury said...

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:RWMZOfvHQEHm3M:http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/shives/spagett.gif

I think this was taken today at the Cuse Nova Game...Matt is that tomato sauce on your face...