Sunday, February 01, 2009

Week 12

This is one time where television really fails to capture the true excitement of a large squirrel predicting the weather.

29 comments:

Matt. said...

Rise & Shine Woodchuck-Chuckers:

1- Connecticut
2- North Carolina
3- Oklahoma
4- Louisville
5- Duke
6- Pittsburgh
7- Marquette
8- Wake Forest
9- X
10- Gonzaga
11- Michigan State
12- Texas
13- Syracuse
14- UCLA
15- Butler
16- Purdon't

Two surprises for me was my inclusion of both UCLA and Purdon't, but both had great weeks, and for Purdon't they've had two nice weeks. Sometimes thats all you need.

I'm not punishing Syracuse for their loss on Wednesday, they'll rebound and get the two this week. Nor will I punish Pittsburgh for losing in the last game to be played at the Spectrum, ever.

Three mid-majors no one is really looking at that will sneak up and get someone in March: Siena, Northeastern, Utah State. Would hate to have them as a 12 to Clemson's 5. Siena took Clemson out last year (i had that on my bracket).

Happy Groundhog Day to you all.

Is it snowing in space?

Lux said...

Michigan lost their only offensive threat early against Purdue with a somewhat unwarranted ejection but they play amazing defense and had another great week, welcome to the dark side Matt. I would have appreciated a shout out for being right about them months ago but I read between the lines.

1- UNC
2- Lville
3- UConn
4- Duke
5- Pitt
6- OU
7- Zaga
8- Wake
9- Texas
10- Mich St
11- Big East
12- Big East
13- Big East
14- Purdue
15- UCLA
16- Arizona St

Insert whoever in for the Big East in my poll, I don't really care. I'm just tired of getting pissed everytime I look at their schedules and see that they only play the good teams once. Marquette doesn't have to play the top 4 teams until the end of the season. Hopefully the whole country will be sold on them beforehand so I can gain some ground in my bracket with their 2seed loss.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl. We ate lobster and drank pina coladas. At sunset we made love like sea otters. *That* was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over and over and over...

Matt. said...

Your comment should have read welcome "back" to the dark side. I've had the Boilers in my rankings a couple of times, and every time I do they burn me. So they'll probably drop at least a game this week, just for consistency sake (for me...but it will again prove that they themselves are inconsistent).

Lux I hear you on Marquette's BE schedule. They definitely got the better half of that deal. I wouldn't say its easy, because what in the BE really is, but they got the smoothest path. I legitimately believe that they are better than Wake, X, and Zaga though. Any teams that lose to K-State and Penn State on your home court is now worse than that too. Because Marquette is still beating those teams, whereas Sparty and Hook Em are not.

I think everyone knows that 2 of your 3 BE cop outs listed, stand for Marquette and Syracuse, so who is the third? Still high on Huggy?

Quite a "doozy" tonight.

For your information hair do, there is a major network interested in me.

Whats that, the Home Shopping Network?

Lux said...

I couldn't decide between Marquette, Nova, Cuse and WVU. I think all of these teams are better than Xavier. They have a decent win at LSU recently but only winning by 2 points at home to UMass this weekend? YAWN If they beat Dayton I might rank them but I'm not convinced yet.

M. Drury said...

Its still Monday...could be record two weeks in a row with a Monday post

1. UNC
2. UConn
3. Duke
4. Oklahoma
5. Lville
6. Pitt
7. Wake
8. Zaga
9. Marquette
10. Mich St
11. Texas
12. Xavier
13. Cuse
14. UCLA
15. Butler
16. Purdue

The last few spot could got to about 6 or 7 teams...just depends on which teams looks better.

Matt. said...

Xavier has a win at LSU, against Memphis on a neutral, and not so bad wins at UVA, at Cincy, Missouri at home, and Miami (OH) (same team UCLA almost lost to). Only losses are to Duke and Butler. Not too shabby. 5-1 Non conf road/neutral record.

They have owned the A10 the last couple of years, and have made noise in the Dance. Worthy of consideration in your 16 as far as I'm concerned.

S. Hartzell said...

We are less than six weeks away from selection sunday, and yet some you are convinced teams like Butler and Syracuse are going to be getting 4 seeds.

Apologies on the Tuesday post but it looks like the discourse is just as healthy without me.

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16

I decided its in the best interests to inject some new blood in my poll and that explains the inclusions of Purnell and Self's squads in the 'teens.

I'll take all haters like I did last week, but this time of the year conference records and standing means a lot to me.

Butler is a good team but they play in the Horizon and that just ain't cutting it in my book. Oh snap, doesn't Cleveland State play in that conference, too? Well shit, there's always next week.

Am I the only one none too pleased with Chris 'Cop-out' Lux for only filling out 80% of his poll? I mean, where's the accountability here? That's amateur hour. Especially when you make it public you narrowed it down to four teams for three spots. In the words of Steve Stifler: "I suggest you locate your dick, remove the shrink wrap, and fucking use it."

No SEC teams in the top 25 this week, and I was actually going to rank Kentucky until they shit the bed at home to South Carolina.

Speaking of the SEC, don't buy what ESPN is selling, Bob Knight ain't coming to Athens. Mark Few, on the other hand, is quite high on the UGA wish list I'm being told.

S. Hartzell said...

Wow not THAT is amateur hour

1-UNC
2-UCONN
3-L'VILLE
4-DUKE
5-PITT
6-OKLA
7-WAKE
8-MARQ
9-TEXAS
10-ZAGA
11-MINN
12-MICH ST.
13-CLEMSON
14-PURDUE
15-KANSAS
16-ARIZ ST.

Matt. said...

Again, there is always confusion behind how we do our rankings. Everyone is different (few leave them blank the whole way through, but to each his one) and it can vary. There is no set rules as to a Power 16 is, to my knowledge. If you want to come up with a uniform policy regarding this matter, I'm all ears. I'm simply combining the best 16 teams in the country right now, the 16 teams that will be in the Sweet 16, and some seeding. Seeding comes more at the top, the first 4 teams on my poll are typically who I feel are the Number 1 seeds for the tournament at this time, thus the best chance to the Final 4. In spots like 8 vs. 9 and 12 v. 13, I also take into account some seedings. I think Wake is closer to a 2 than X is right now.

But I still rank the best 16 teams in the nation as it stands right now. I believe we all do, and what is very upsetting to this poster is that you really think Clemson is a good team. I don't even think they are a Top 25 team. I don't consider a win at VTech that great. Depending on how good you think the Fighting Weber's are Clemson's "great" win was this last week. Seems kinda late to be playing the best opponent you faced all year (a team that has losses to Seton Hall, Wisconsin, and UGA).

So until Clemson shows up against somebody/anybody I won't give them shit. And I will hate on those who do. They only play the Big 3 (Duke, Wake, UNC...i'd call them the ANY 3 that matter in the ACC) they only play them 4 times, which is a sharp contrast to the conference games that other teams are playing and have more losses. I'll concede that Clemson is a tourney team, just because of the gaudy record, but they will be out going into the first weekend.

Minnesota is right there, but they are not the 11th best team in the nation. Holding a team to 36 is damn good, but 'Sota isn't a three seed, and Tubby's a year away from getting this squad into the second weekend. After Penn State/Northwestern's domination of East Lansing, you almost have to think that Tubbytown needs to go in there and W this week. I know your holding on to that Louisville win, but I think we can all agree the L'ville team that Sota beat isn't the same team taking the floor now.

Thabeet needs serious consideration for BE POY, because he is a force in the paint defensively. Remember that Y2K scare, and what would happen if all the computer's shutdown, Thabeet is that, and he's real.

You put Clemson in above your boy Hummel and Purdon't, and Ariz State, you are slumping man.

Maybe you had the rankings right in your first post.

Lux said...

I was amazed by UConn's performance last night. They are now the only team I would consider putting ahead of UNC. Apparently Vegas was just as surprised as I was, that was not a Lville -2 matchup.

I'm glad Hartzell found Kansas again, he's been wanting to sneak them back in his poll since the preseason.

Hartzell, unless you're making a list of the 16 hottest cheerleaders, don't use the word Clemson.

S. Hartzell said...

Is Clemson a little high? Well obviously judging by the reaction of my colleagues in the Northeast. Am I high? Well, although I do consider Michael Phelps a close personal friend of the Hartzell household, I'm not hitting the bong like he is. Part of my Clemson bid is that I think they'll beat Duke this Wednesday and earn some credibility, but I will not listen to arguments based on the notion that they're soft because the ACC is razor-sharp this year.

I know Luxey Baby doesnt beleive in the AP poll and only listens to the sharps out in the desert, but to have 4 ACC teams as well as the 4 BE teams in the AP's top 10 speaks volumes to me. So what if Clemson ends the year the fourth best team in the ACC? That might very well earn them a 3 seed if the conference continues the season the way its started.

And yes, I like Kansas and I love Texas, so eventhough the Sooners have the best record in the land at 21-1, I'm still waiting for them to come down to earth. Maybe I'm putting too much stock into what I saw at the Garden for Texas but I really want to put them in my final four.

As I said to Matt today on the phone, I think Clemson beats Butler here there or anywhere. That, my friends, is the fundamental difference between my views and yours. And speaking of Matt, his first stanza rings true with me, in that there is no right or wrong way to post a power 16. And here's hoping I dont get blown out by ca caw tomorrow night on national tv.

Matt. said...

Your defense of Clemson almost makes me want to root for Duke.

Fourth best in the ACC is 8th best in the Big East. Name one team in the top 8 of that conference that Clemson could beat.

Butler would be 4th in the ACC this year if they were in that conference. And just about every other year too for that matter.

Matt. said...

Stephen and I did talk on the phone today, and one of the themes of our conversation was how Purdon't would lose tonight since I put them in the Holy Rankings.

Way to go boys, you did it again.

Maybe Clemson could beat Purdon't.

S. Hartzell said...

Matt I told you so on Purdue, and I bet even you felt it deep down in your loins...it's not like you to root against a Thad Matta coached team.

The Butler vs Clemson debate will get settled when Duke rolls into town Wednesday night. If I'm right and they beat the Dukies, it'll be tough for the northeastern bias between you and Lux to not rear its ugly head yet again as you ignore a 20 win ACC team for Utah State or some other religious heathens playing D-1 basketball.

Speaking of which, can you beleive Notre Dame is 12-8 overall and not even on the map when it comes to projecting this year's NCAA tournament field? Did not see that coming six weeks ago...let the Mike Brey to Georgia rumors begin.

Lux said...

Purdue has pretty much their entire starting lineup playing at under 100% and they lost on the road in OT to a team that has beaten Miami Fl, Butler and Notre Dame. Not sure why I'm defending them but hey, I'm bored.

Matt. said...

Clemson doesn't stand a chance against Duke tonight, and even if they did I still wouldn't rank them next week. Although I might move them ahead of Utah St in my Top 25.

I think everyone is under 100 percent at this juncture of the season Lux, its been a physical year of basketball, and its taking its toll.

ND is on dangerous ground. Its not like their schedule gets terribly easier anytime soon. No one outside of McAlarney and GODY have even shown up, but I doubt Brey even looks at UGA.

If Few really is high up on the wish list, is that even feasible? He's turned down several offers, has a great life in the cozy Northwest, and besides wouldn't he go to Arizona first?

I think UGA is going to get another small time coach. Do they even care about basketball there?

Does anyone know if Dur is even alive. He contributes nothing to this blog. I can't wait to take his money with the brackets.

M. Drury said...

Matt...the reason for my lack on contribution to the blog is due to the fact that you dominate the blog with you extreme bias for the big east...every week you just pick on either lux or stephen for their selection from either the acc or pac 10 to their 16 and come up with tons of "facts" to support your theories on why the big easts top 8 teams are better than any other conference.

Where you may have a valid point in suggesting that, I think you are drinking way to much of the big east kool-aid. The big east is the best top to bottom conference in the country, but I am siding with my boy stephen on the clemson debate. They are a quality team with losses to @UNC (haven't won there since Matt had hair) and at home to Wake (when Wake was playing the best ball in the country)....Do I think that they can beat My CACAAW boys tonight...Yes, will it happen maybe one word free throws. Oliver Purnell is one of the most underrated coaches in the country look at his track record (successful at every place he has coached ODU, Dayton, Clemson)...sure he doesn't have the headiest players, but they can get up and down the floor and have a balanced team. Can you say that for all of the teams that you have ranking in your 16. Take a look at who you really have ranked and tell me that Clemson hasn't had a better season that ULCA, Butler, Purdue, and even I dare say Cuse.

Just because they play a soft preseason (circa Cuse exception this preseason) and are the 4th best team in the acc doesn't mean that they aren't a sweet 16 team.

Yes, I didn't rank them this week but they were number 17 on the list.

On another note, I think our blog is becoming to focused on trashing each other 16 and less focused on what really matters, who is playing well, thoughts on teams season, who will win it all.

More to come...

Good Day

PS
My Life is My Card CA CAAAW

Matt. said...

"Oliver Purnell is one of the most underrated coaches in the country look at his track record..."

-For a coach who receives that kinda acclaim from such a respected basketball mind as yours Dru, I would hope he had gotten out of the 1st Round of the NCAA tournament at least once, yet that is not the case. Sure he has been successful in the NIT (8 appearances in 20 years as a head coach), but I thought this blog was above talking about NIT coaches/teams. He has a 57% winning percentage, and is 32-48 (career) in the ACC (coming into this year).

I'm also glad that your defense of Clemson only included highlighting their losses, that should help them in the NCAA's.

Free throws is two words, not one.

I'm just not convinced that Clemson is even the 4th best team in the conference. I feel like the ACC is a three team race, with everyone else just falling by the wayside.

Clemson's Best W's: at VT, at Ill
UCLA's: at USC, Cal
Purdue: Davidson, at Sota, neut BC, Mich
Butler: at X

Whats funnier is that you ranked UCLA, Purdon't, and Butler, yet you "ranked" Clemson behind them. So how much do you really believe your own argument.

Finally, I believe that by us going after each other's lists we are discussing the best teams in the nation and who has a chance to win it all. It's this Clemson argument that keeps the conversation muddled.

Put on your shooting shirt, and focus on dismantling your boy Purnell.

CA CAWWWWWWWW

"I love Duke"
-Coach miKey

ps dru: sorry i use facts, i'll try to come off less like the bully in elementary school that took your lunch money.

S. Hartzell said...

Wow its amazing how quiet the blogosphere is in the wake of Clemson's resounding win over Duke last night, which saw the nation's #3 held under 50 points and beaten by a bucket shy of 30 points on a historic night at LittleJohn Coliseum. I'm already looking forward to reading Matt's justification of not ranking Oliver Purnell's squad next monday.


And in the matter of fairness, I'll admit Wake got stomped down in Coral Gables. But while I've been riding the Deacons harder than most, I'll acknowledge publicly this team is too young and just not capable (yet) of winning two games in three days come March. Depending on who the 13-14 seed is, I could very well see a one and done for Wake.

And Matt if you can't even acknowledge that you're blinded by your BigEast bias then you are more blind than the time your eyes crusted over during sleep and you had to stumble down main street to Rockingham Memorial Hospital, 22807

Matt. said...

Let me put this out there right now, its going to take more than beating Duke (at home) to permit me to rank a team that has been overrated all year, and is and will be incapable of putting together any wins in the tournament. Its just that simple.

If you want to say that I'm blinded with Big East bias, thats your problem, no other conference in the nation is as deep as this year's BE has ever been. Ever. The fact that Notre Dame is 12-9 (with some bad losses...all of which are on the road) is a testament to this. We all had Notre Dame in our Top 10's to begin the year. Yet they have gotten the brunt of the schedule in the Big East, and if you go game by game ND vs. Clemson its not even close. Thats right, the 12th team in the BE could take down Clemson right now (provided that ND is that 12th team). Look at the schedules. I would rather take a team that has played the likes of Providence, Marquette, Louisville, UConn, Syracuse, Georgetown, and Pittsburgh over a team that has played NC State, Virginia Tech, Duke, Georgia Tech, and Miami. Am I wrong? I don't think so.

The ACC has 3 legitimate teams, maybe 2 that could be in the Sweet 16. If more teams follow the blueprint that Clemson executed so well against Duke, then maybe only 1 from the ACC sees the 2nd weekend. After that there is no one. A bunch of middling teams that are struggling to be considered for the Bubble. Yet the BE has 10 quality teams, that may end up fighting for 8 spots.

I really don't understand how there's even an argument. So yes, I did make the journey to RMH with crusted over eyes. Thats an eye infection. Maybe Hartzell has that same infection while he types.

Name 4 ACC teams outside of Duke, NC, Wake that could beat half of the BE teams. Name them.

Either way, Clemson doesn't make it out of Weekend One in March. And I hope that your money is where your mouth is, because I'll scoop up that advantage over you.

Not that I'll need it, your last few brackets have landed you in the Bottom 10 for at least the last 3 years (maybe since GT made that run at the Finals....and we all remember you on the 55 Fairview porch that ill-fated evening).

Anything else?

M. Drury said...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bubblewatch?id=84

Read this Matt...and use some eye drops to get the crush out of your eyes.


BE teams are inconsistent just like any other conference...UConn might be the only consistent BE team...get a clue

S. Hartzell said...

duder, I'm not bashing the BE as as conference, but you have to take a step back and acknowledge that teams in the bottom third of this unstoppable conference are shit. Seton Hall, South Florida, St Johns, Depaul, Rutgers, cmon Matt. According to you, if I was drop any of those teams in the ACC they would be at or above .500 and making some major noise. To be quite honest, thats just not happening.

I, too, respect and admire the BE for the quality of play and the obvious strength of their conference, including the all-important RPI. But your unwillingness to accept that there is sound basketball played outside of the northeast makes you sound ignorant.

By the way I love how you casually dismissed Clemson's road win at the Illini as non-impressive. Get your eyedrops.

Lux you've been quiet lately, you trying to make this blog a one-trick pony between Matt and I? How is the CT to ATL move coming along? Are you still dating JCrew catalog models?

Matt. said...

The Bottom 1/3 of every conference is shit. I apologize if I ever claimed those horrendous teams in the BE would make noise in another conference. Those teams wouldn't make noise in any BCS conference. But I do maintain that the top 11 in the BE would be top half in any of them.

I acknowledge that there is good ball being played all over the country (save the southeast), which is why 8 conferences are represented in my Power Poll.

I just believe the best basketball is being played by the top half of the BE.

Huge slate of games this weekend. I'm looking forward to several, including the site of Gameday for the Memphis/Gonzaga game. Both teams need that for some serious street cred. Something of which Monsieur Hartzell has no knowledge of.

Matt. said...

For those who are not paying attention: JMU is 15-9 with 7 to go. While three of the remaining games are against Mason and VCU (2 at home, one in Richmond) there is an outside chance that our beloved Dukes could get to the 20 win mark.

How far they've come. Matt Brady should be CAA Coach of the Year, but will be 2nd to Northeastern's head coach.

S. Hartzell said...

Thanks for jinxing JMU against Mason this weekend

S. Hartzell said...

By the way I'm sure this doesnt need to be mentioned to Orange fans, but Saturday's noon game at Villanova is a must-win game if Syracuse wants to stay out of an 8/9 game in the first round.

Matt. said...

I agree its a must win, but not for that reason. They need a conference road win against a legit tourney team, and their best chance for that is tomorrow. With the others being (Wed at UConn and Senior Day at Marquette), this is a game they can go get.

I think at the end, this team will evade the 8/9 game, probably a 6 seed at this juncture (Kansas, Florida, and Memphis are all doing well) with the potential of being a 3 seed, especially if they take care of the business tomorrow and hold serve on home court. But Boeheim knows all this and I'm sure has prepped his boys for this.

We play well in the Wachovia Center, nipped them last year at the venue, and the BE Tournament debacle is still fresh in Jonny's mind. Very heady player.

I think we should take bets on what SEC teams get into the Dance. Can Coach Horn really get the GamecoX in the dance? Is Tennessee in right now? I know that seems like an awful question, but I would say they are on the wrong side of the Bubble right now.

Stephen will you be up in the AM? We'll need to exchange ideas on lines. Let me know.

Where is the Chairman?

S. Hartzell said...

Saturday afternoon meltdown at the Wachovia Center....Syracuse is poised for yet another late season collapse you heard it here first. Love to get your thoughts Matt after you apply eye drops and a tampon to stop the bleeding

Matt. said...

You know what a meltdown is, being up 19 in the 2nd half (15 at the under 8 timeout) and losing the game. To Florida State. Thats your 13th rated Clemson Tigers for you.

My rankings are ready to be posted provided that there is no upsets looming on the schedule. Most likely to get picked off, Wake Forest. But we'll see.

You gotta love Purdon't's heart playing without Hummel, and I almost want to keep them at 16 just in case he ever wanders back to the court, but they miss that white goofy fella pretty badly.