Saturday, January 19, 2008

week eleven

Usc, finally get a big win. Maryland?

39 comments:

S. Hartzell said...

s. hartzell said...
there should be a seperate blog just for saturdays in college basketball. good heavens. so many games. I know it's been awhile for me, so I thought I'd list some of my thoughts for yall to marinate on. I've missed the hell out of you my darlings.


they have been criticized heavily within the walls of this forum, but how 'bout Baylor? Now 3-0 in Big XII play and 15-2 overall.

Lux, you're feeling good cause you were spot on with the Pac10. If Southern Cal can go into Pauley Pavillion led by three freshmen in their starting lineup and beat UCLA (who start 4 juniors and Kevin Love, a very mature freshmen) by 11 points, it further proves the point that this years nod for toughest conference is unquestionably the Pac-10.

Speaking of top 3 teams getting beat, the blueprint for beating North Carolina has been made public thanks to the power forwards and centers of Georgia Tech and Maryland, who got in Pycho T's grill and beat him up physically. North Carolina is not a deep team, I never knew how much they relied on that pasty guard Frasor, cause they are razor thin at the guard spot, could spell trouble in late March.

Speaking of pasty, Tyler Hansbrough is the most overrated player in college basketball. He will fade into obscurity when he goes pro. Am I wrong here?

1-UNC-lost at home Sat.
3-Kansas-at Missouri, down in 1st half
4-UCLA-lost at home Sat.
9-TexasA&M-lost Sat.

even if Kansas pulls it off at Missouri, you gotta love that parity is back in college ball this year. You're a moron to be laying significant points with a favorite this time of year, as the likes of UNC showed this week twice (@GT -12, vs. MD -19), UCLA (-11 vs. USC), I could go all night. The only big fav I can think of this week covering was Tenn midweek -10 hosting Vandy. And I watched that whole thing, Vandy was down 8 with 90 seconds to play.

Matt you said earlier this year you had the Blue Ribbon college preview? Never saw one down here in stores, how is it working out for you? Are they accurate in their preseason projections?

Is Arizona State the real deal? Can they keep it within the number tonight (+8) at Stanford? The Cardinal? I liked what I saw in the OT win at Cal, but it's never easy on the road, much less back-to-back roadies. Still though, this just goes to prove how underrated of a coach we all thought Herb Sendek was. Apparently he's more than Julius Hodge and Engin Atsur, two of the dirtiest players in the history of the ACC.

Alabama is a disaster in the disaster that is the SEC this year. now 0-4 in conference play, they will be a good bet-against team from here on in.

Conversely, Mississippi State is now 4-0 in the conference and will get little respect from the betting public on the road. Look at these guys play, very athletic and unknown.

I've got a beat on the SEC. If Lux sticks with the Pac10, Dru with the ACC, and Matt with the BigEast I will have everything I need to make my March to Madness. not to mention make some serious coin.

'

Matt. said...

What a wonderful post Stephen. Very insightful. I'm also glad we've all got regions of the nation that are our specialties.

I agree that Hansbrough will be a NBA obscurity, but he also has the chance to be the only 4-time All American at the collegiate level (if he stays next year), and there is something to be said for that especially in the current era of college basketball.

Not buying Baylor yet, what great wins for USC and K-state yesterday.

Not sure if anyone caught this, but pretty much every stellar freshman was on display yesterday nationally. With exception to Eric Gordon, all the big guys played, and most played well. What a great day it was.

Every conference is more wide open than Dru's mom's legs. Ridiculous.

Pretty sure you can make a better case for more teams out of the A10 than the SEC this year. Thats such a terrible thing to say.

The Pac10 is the toughest conference. That doesn't look like its going to change either. While talented, every Big East team is too damn inconsistent. The Pac10 is also really exciting to watch, and how every game is crucial.

I would like to post now, but gotta wait for the Washington State/Oregon game to conclude.

Drake now 7-0 in the MVC, who would have thought.

Matt. said...

From the Week that was:

1- Memphis
2- Kansas
3- Tennessee
4- Duke
5- UCLA
6- North Carolina
7- Georgetown
8- Indiana
9- Michigan State
10- Texas
11- Washington State
12- Gonzaga
13- Drake
14- Southern California
15- Marquette
16- Texas A&M

Could have ranked 5 other teams, but the last five are the five that have the best chance to be there when all is said and done. Could have substituted St. Mary's, Wisconsin, Arizona State, Kansas State, etc.

Kind of a crazy ranking I admit for many of my selections, but the teams that lost should drop since both were at home, to unranked teams (maryland was bubble at best) so they drop. Tennessee and Duke take the place.

I think when all is said and done, the Pac10 winner will be a 1 seed. But right now no team is playing like they should get it. So the SEC representative gets the last slot due to no real Big East team (with georgetown's loss).

The weeks just get bigger as we get closer to March.

Lux said...

My 16 won't be ready until tom but drake matt? I can maybe understand them making your list but its their number that bothers me.

Matt. said...

Because they are ahead of your sweethearts USC? This was such a week of upheaval that allows them to enter there, because both Texas A&M and Marquette did not have good weeks.

What about Gonzaga not being ranked by the AP. That seems odd to me. Not sure how they justify that.

S. Hartzell said...

I think it's commendable, Matt, that your power 16 did not include either Wisconsin or Pittsburgh, two teams that are ranked by the AP within the top 13 but play a pasty brand of basketball and an even pastier non-conference sched.

Lux's beef with Drake is a bit overstated. They are senior-laden and coming out of the Missouri Valley, will be a squad nobody wants to play when March rolls around. They will force a team to function in the half court and not a lot of teams--including the well coached ones--will be able to get out and run on these cats. First team to 50 usually wins in the MVC.

Guys, Gonzaga has played an incredible non-conference slate and still has Memphis on the road, but are you really seeing sweet 16 talent on this team? I think athletically it might be Mark Few's most talented squad, but is there that one guy that will carry them in the tournament when the rims are tighter than in the WCC and guys typically start hesitating? I just don't think as a team Gonzaga is that good, and that we all try to rank them because they've earned our collective respect and because, in our eyes, they represent a program that's doing it 'the right way', i.e. scheduling tough and playing anybody on the road if it gets them on t.v. and lowers their RPI.

Georgetown skated by what we can all agree is an average Syracuse team tonight in D.C. Is it just me or is Roy Hibbert the most non-impressive 7 footer to play in college since some guy named Olowakandi? All I see when Hibbert mopes around the hardwood is slow, heavy feet, and this tired, almost hurt look on his big droopy face. He will be a lottery pick and sink some poor NBA team's battleship.

As much as I want to give more love to Arizona State, after being up 10 on the road at Stanford only to end up losing by 15 before it's all said and done, and to do so as an 8 point dog.....well, that's more than disappointing. And Stanford is not that good.

I know Vanderbilt lost by 20 on the road at Tennessee, but I've seen the Commodores play half a dozen times this year, and aside from UCLA, they could beat any other 2-loss team in the nation, including Michigan State. Shan Foster and A.J. Ogilvy are one the more destructive (and certainly underground) tandems in the college game today.

Onto the poll:

1-memphis
2-kansas
3-california, los angeles
4-tennessee
5-north carolina
6-duke
7-washington state
8-indiana
9-michigan state
10-georgetown
11-texas
12-vanderbilt
13-southern california
14-butler
15-dayton
16-drake


Things are getting so tight thanks to the parity and depth of conference play that we might have to talk about expanding to a 'treacherous 20' cause I left at least four good teams to be, with apologies to Bracketologist Joe Lunardi, my last four out.

Oh and Matt, I know there has been some dialogue on this but I'm not seeing the A-10 getting more than three bids to the big dance, whereas the SEC will be getting atleast four. It was suggested earlier that the A-10, despite marquee wins in the Carrier Dome this season, would get more teams into the tournament than the Southeast. It's a cute story but the rise of Mississippi State (along with Ole Miss in the West, Tenn and atleast Vandy and likely Florida in the East) puts the SEC in the drive for five. So unless a team other than Dayton, UMass, or Rhode Island wins the A-10 tourney, it's a solid three-team bid for the conference. And I think the boys in the A-10 should be thrilled with that, it's fair.


Early lines are out for Tuesday:
Drake +6 at Creighton looks appetizing

Matt. said...

Not sure who the Committee would take at this point Xavier or Mississippi State?

I think the A10 eventually only gets three as well, but how can you ignore Xavier. Just doesn't make any sense, especially coming from someone as heady as you Stephen.

Also I don't think Mississippi State will last. But we shall see.

Lux said...

Hasn't it already been decided that the A10 like always, has 6 decent teams but not one that can win consistently? Also, so UMass beats a mediocre team like Dayton and all of a sudden they're ranked by Parish and are a lock for the tourney by Matt and Hartzell? UMass just lost to St Joes at home.

I'm also a little confused how Hartzell can rank a team that just lost to Cleveland State and another team that just lost at home to UMass.

Do you guys know why Drake is +6 at Creighton? Because Drake isn't that good. Yes they're playing well and have experience but ranking them above teams like USC, Texas AM and Wisconsin is a tad ridiculous.

Lux said...

1. Kansas


2. Memphis
3. UCLA
4. Wash St
5. Duke
6. Texas
7. UNC
8. Mich St
9. Georgetown
10. Tenn
11. USC
12. Stanford
13. Indiana
14. Arizona State
15. Wisconsin
16. Gonzaga

M. Drury said...

Well I will go ahead and post for the week lets see how this goes. I agree i think that about 20 teams could be the in 16.

1. Kansas
2. Memphis
3. UCLA
4. UNC
5. Duke
6. Wash St
7. Tenn
8. Indiana
9. Mich St
10. Texas
11. G-town
12. Wisconsin
13. Vandy
14. Butler
15. Dayton
16. Gonzaga/Stanford

I refuse to rank USC even though they won at Pauley, so what if they won a game on the road. They still need to win another game in the PAC 10 to earn some more respect. Texas A & M had two tough games last week and failed both (badly) and therefore are realing because of the that. They have to earn their way back into my 16. If they don't hold their opponents to under 50 points then its tough for them to win a game.

As for stephen bashing on the zags, yes they probably are the most athletic team that few has had in recent years and that my friend is why they will play well in the tournament. They are deeper than in years past and they don't have a go to guy which will help them play more as as team (hopefully no meltdowns at center court).

M. Drury

S. Hartzell said...

since Lux is so obsessed with where we rank our teams and who certain squads are ranked ahead of, I have to take exception with you drop North Carolina to 7 behind the likes of Duke and Washington State. Are you saying that either or those teams can beat North Carolina or that they will seeded higher in the tournament? Because neither happens. I'm the least UNC guy on this blog, I can assure you, but even Drury, our resident caw-caw I love Duke guy, has the decency to still rank the Tar Heels ahead of Duke on his Power 16. So what if they got exposed against back-to-back athletic and powerful front lines in GT and Maryland, respectively. What did you expect? it's the ACC, dog. Not like Memphis and the heinous C-USA where your only battles are at UAB and Houston. But don't be fooled I love Memphis, as my poll indicates.

North Carolina lost a game. I think the two elder statesmen of this blog, Mattheus and Chris, have overreacted and punished Roy Williams' ballclub. And as mentioned earlier, although I am not a UNC fan, I do think Roy is one of the top 3 nicest guys in collegiate athletics. Oh yeah, and his boys could give your beloved Kansas all that they can handle, I don't think there's much of an argument there.

Bottom line North Carolina will be a 1 seed come March. We all know it.


by the way I'm not saying Duke wouldn't give UNC a game, cause they will (at Cameron) but the talent level with UNC is, in a word, superior.

So Lux are you officially on Creighton tonight minus the six? Cause I'm going the other way. Also like the under in the Tenn/Ken game (147 and dropping as we speak)

Lux said...

I took Drake +6

Lux said...

Hartzell,

I had a whole long post about this but it doesn't look like it saved. I'll summarize, Heytvelt (06 leading scorer) was barely off a severe ankle injury when Zaga played Tenn and they haven't lost since. Gonzaga could win the tourney, could you say the same thing about Dayton?

Also, I agree with you that Vandy is legit but don't discount Stanford, they're a strong team and they keep getting stronger. Coming back against ASU is a good example of that.

Yes, UNC is 7 in my poll but they don't have one good win and they just had a really bad loss AT HOME. Yes, they should probably be swapped with Duke in my poll though. However, Texas is better than both of them.

Dru,

USC didn't just beat UCLA, they missed a free throw to beat Memphis and only lost to Kansas by 4. Plus they're in the Pac 10 and getting better, that's a lot more impressive than anything Dayton has done in my opinion.

S. Hartzell said...

I hear you on Heytvelt. Plus I dunno about you but I'm a fan of any D-1 athlete that takes phychotropic mushrooms in his free time.

How 'bout Drake making it happen on the road at Creighton? In addition to now being 17-1 overall (8-0 in MVC), the Drake Bulldogs are also an impressive 12-2 ATS. Thats value.

Your Stanford pick bothers me, but then again so did the Cardinal coming back from the grave to kill Herb Sendek and all the ASU backers last weekend. While I respect your inclusion of them in this weeks poll, there are other ways of making a statement or declaration without putting an overvalued and underachieving program like Stanford ahead of Gonzaga (who would crush them on a neutral court) or Indiana (who you're either disrespecting or ignoring by not having them in your top 10).

I mean, c'mon the big-10 is what it is (and by no way am I implying a conference that produces Indiana is superior to what's going on out West), but the Hoosiers will win 25+ games this year and would legitimately beat Stanford 9 times out of 10, and this despite them being coached by Matt Benjamin's sworn enemy, the redskin coach that is Kelvin Sampson.

Matt. said...

Gonzaga has had problems when they have big time playas in the tournament. Maybe the fact that they are deep and talented, not with just one guy who everyone knows is going to get the ball, they will be more successful.

I did bring down UNC for their loss, but this is a poll. If you lose, you drop. I agree that UNC will be a one seed in the end, but right now they look like a top 6 team because of some of their flaws being exposed. They will assuredly correct those, and rise when others fall.

Either way you look at it Stanford and USC at 12 and 11 respectively is way too high. USC is simply not the 11th best team in the nation. And Stanford, what win do they have to rank them. Anything on the road?

I never said that UMASS was in, I think that Dayton, URI, and Xavier were in.

Matt. said...

Looks like I ranked UT really high, or Kentucky is good. I'll take the former.

Texas ahead of Michigan State even though Michigan State beat them. Didn't you spend like 3 weeks on doing that same thing Lux? Was the win over Colorado (by 2 at home) impressive enough to rank above Michigan State and UNC? I understand that MSU lost to Iowa, and didn't look good and the same with UNC. But I don't see what was that impressive with recent Texas basketball to put them that high up.

Lux said...

Texas has the best guard in college basketball and yes Matt, Michigan State played the worst game I've ever seen against Iowa so I dropped them even though Texas lost to them. Texas has no bad losses, several great wins and the league's best pg. He can also penetrate which is going to carry them far into the tourney. Texas had a terrible shooting night against Missouri away and still managed to be ahead at the half. They've beaten everyone's precious Tenn, UCLA and St Marys, much better wins than Michigan State.

And sometimes I make up for past errors in my polls. I know the majority of America would call me a flipflopper but really, I think we all know the idiocracy of believing that changing your mind is a sign of weakness.

Is this where I make fun of Matt and Hartzell for having Tenn as a 1 seed?

Hartzell, I actually took Creighton moneyline last night so thanks for the heads up on that. Drake isn't that good but neither is Creighton, seemed like easy money.

What win does Indiana have, Kentucky? I'm not sold on them yet and would love to kick them out of my poll completely but everyone has been playing poorly.

Yes, I should probably have Gonzaga at 10 on my poll and Stanford might be a little high but Matt, why are you so adamant about USC not being the 11th best team in the nation when you have them at 13? If that's all you got, I'm a happy man.

I can't believe more of you don't have Wisconsin ranked like Dru and I. Please explain why 7-0 in the MVC is more impressive than 6-0 in the Big 10?

M. Drury said...

I guess I am missing something here I like all of the talk going on about Texas and Gonzaga...but I would have to agree with Lux that if Matt can only put up a weak arguement for USC and have them at 14 then something isn't right.

Well I will star my arguement given I am the only one that didn't rank USC this week. I know that Dayton doesn't have an impressive win but damn USC is 11-6....one of those six coming to Mercer at home. I know if was the first game of the season, but damn Mercer may not even finish in the top half of the sun belt. They might have two decent wins besides UCLA (Miami (OH) and So Ill. maybe). So all of sudden they reappear in everyones 16. They didn't win any of those games mentioned by Lux. And yes I did back them earlier this year and I am not saying they are a bad team. I just think that until they have they go 5-1 in their next six games then they still have as much to prove as Dayton, Gonzaga, any A-10 school or half the other teams in the PAC 10.

S. Hartzell said...

To answer Lux's intended-to-be-rhetorical question about Wisconsin's sparkling undefeated mark in the Big 10, all I will do is simply list who the Badgers have beaten to earn their undefeated conference record thus far.

1/2 won at Michigan
1/5 won vs Iowa
1/10 beat Illinois
1/15 won at Penn St
1/19 beat N'Western
1/22 beat Michigan (again)

This list speaks for itself as to why Wisconsin has yet to earn even a hint of respect in the Big 10.

Conversely, winning on the road at the then-ranked #2 Texas Longhorns is one of the three most impressive road wins all year, but come on, I thought this was the time of the year (conference ball) we worked the pasty teams out of our polls, not bring them in.

Yall like anything ATS tonite? I'm in the zone over here

Lux said...

USC was down a key starter during that Mercer game. Slightly off topic but Parish has USC a 12 seed right now, I feel bad for the 5.

Hartzell, here's Drake very impressive list:

@Wichita St.
Southern Ill.
@Evansville
Indiana St.
Missouri St.
@Bradley
Illinois St.

Golly, I haven't seen an impressive stretch like that in a long time. The only halfway decent opponent is Ill St and they played them at home.

Lux said...

I really like the Iowa State +23 at Kansas but Kansas is sick at home and Iowa St doesn't play well on the road. Nationally televised though, will Iowa St step up?

Indiana hasn't lost at home in years but -16 against Iowa is too much. I'll take it.

M. Drury said...

JMU catching 5 at home aganist delware...i would venture toward the blue hens

UNC -8.5 at Miami I like the heels in a rebound game

UNC Char -1.5 on the road at la salle

ODU -8 at George Mason

Just a few that I saw...

Matt. said...

Cincinnati +3 against UCONN at home. I like it.

My USC argument was not for them not being a Sweet 16 team (as is evident with my ranking the team) but I didn't agree with them being ahead of some of the teams that Lux had them ahead of. Thats all.

The MVC might be better than the Big 10 overall. I just don't think that the Big 10 can get three teams into the Sweet 16, nor do I think that three of them should be considered the Top 15 in the country. For my money I take Indiana and MIchigan State. Both of which have wins, something Wisconsin lacks. Lux you yourself said earlier this year (around the time of the Duke/Wisc game) that Wisconsin was overrated. I have no problem with the change of heart nor do I think you are a flip-flopper but I'm just wondering what has changed since then. I know the win at Texas was impressive, but they won on a Michael Flowers bomb at the buzzer. It's not like they outplayed Texas for the entire game. Or even more than five minutes of that game. The win is still good, and I struggled with what to do with Wisconsin. I opted not to rank them (and it wasn't either them or Drake) and maybe I'm wrong. I wouldn't want to play Wisconsin in the tourney because they are well coached and have talent.

I know that Drake hasn't played a ton of quality games, but there is something to be said about being 7-0 in the MVC which is a Top Ten league. They produce multiple tourney bids year after year and their teams generally have better success against high profile programs when those programs will play them.

Indiana (like Texas) features one of the best guards in the country. Unlike Texas they lack the tough schedule. However they do have wins against Georgia Tech, Illinois State, Southern Illinois, and are 3-0 on the road in the Big 10 which is decent for how young they are. I think Gordon makes them dangerous, and with the supporting cast that is there, it will be interesting to see them against UCONN and at Wisconsin in upcoming games.

Indian beat Iowa by 3 at Iowa. So either Iowa plays extremely well at home, or that 15 is a gift.

Matt. said...

FYI: The first weekend of Madness does happen to fall on Easter Sunday (March 23: Day Four). Please plan accordingly.

Matt. said...

Lux did you use the word "Golly". Thats awesome! Nice lexicon.

Lux said...

I was trying to add effect to the ridiculous schedule. Gotta luv golly though, I'm going to add it to my usual rotation.

So nova sucks and uconn is continuing their meltdown. Luckily on tradesports the kansas spread was 24.5 so I won the first one tonight. Now let's hope iowa brings the magic.

Also, I'm 100 percent confirmed for opening madness weekend. I'm ready to make it rain at the bee.

Good call on cincy matt.

Also, mvc is sending one team to the dance this year so don't act like the conference is almost the a10 or any crap like that.

I still think wisconsin is overrated but but they're winning games and surprising me a little bit.

Drake is bubble unless they get an automatic boys, face the music.

Also, gordon is good know doubt but they are like tenn. Easily beatable if you match up well with their style of bball.

Go dukes

Lux said...

I spelled know wrong, I'm drinking right now.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they had a 5 min rundown on video of every college bball game like they do on fox sports for soccer (or football if you're not into the whole brevity thing).

Matt. said...

UCONN fought back to win that game tonight, they are putting together a pretty good little stretch of wins here. They went into Cincinnati, where I believe they were undefeated at home in conference play (Pitt, Villanova, Syracuse...say what you will but just citing schedule here) and they beat Marquette, and lost on a freak three by Hibbert in DC. They have Indiana, Louisville, and Pitt next, and if they pull two out of the three I think they are a lock for March. Villanova on the other hand...

Also there will be no "making it rain at the bee" because there will be no going to the bee. It is a basketball weekend, just thought I would throw the heads up on Easter, just in case people still celebrate that.

Maybe a scavenger hunt that morning? Who knows.

However, Texas A&M continues the meltdown. Is it time to respect Baylor?

JMU....are you fucking kidding me.

Lux said...

I gotta be honest, I never saw baylor play but I was the first to see something in their stats. Not bad for a guy who really has no idea what he's talking about. I'm dead serious by the way, I'm terrible at understanding the game. Yes I'm pissed that I went 50/50 again tonight but damn, I'm not sure if I'm going to make it to the burg if we don't make at least one appearance at the bee.

Matt, remember when you used to watch movies? Well go check out cassandra's dream, its pretty good. I'm not sure why woody hates women so much now that he's approaching assisted living but damn, this film was brutal. He must be blaming women for every wrong decision he made in his life. Not sure where I'm going with this but if you're still reading, hello.

Lux said...

I'm watching dumb and dumber right now. You have to pause it to read it but seabass's hat says " wine 'em, dine 'em, sixty-nine 'em". Just thought I'd share, I've seen the movie countless times but this almost had me in tears.

Lux said...

Wash St is +2 at Arizona . . . check please!

M. Drury said...

Matt count me in for easter weekend. I will bring the cadbury eggs and hopefully you won't bring out your bunny custome.

Lux Wash St +2 I really like....anyone think about taking what I said last night would have been 2 for 3 minus ODU getting killing at mason it was Odu +8 and they got killed.

Thoughts for tonight:

Dayton getting +11.5 at xavier is that right

VT + 9 at home aganist Duke

My boys haven't not played well aganist VT in years especially at cassell col.

just some thoughts.....

Lux said...

I took UCLA and WSU tonight. UCLA has something to prove after the USC loss and Love is from Oregon (his father went there) so I see him taking this game incredibly seriously.

I also don't think Zona's lack of bench is going to mix well with WSU's smothering defense. Very big game for Zona though, you can't lose too many games like this at home.

Matt. said...

If there is a website that offers a bet on whether or not Oregon State will win a game in the Pac10, it probably pays pretty well to bet on them, and we all should seriously think about that.

Golly!

Xavier huge tonight. They are for real. Four losses with really the only bad one being at Temple (others Tennessee, at Arizona State, at Miami(OH)) and some decent and strong wins. They were close last year to defeating Ohio State, and I think they have another run in them. Don't sleep on them. I'm telling you now.

I might just designate them at the 16 spot, and not change it for the rest of the year.

Washington State is alright and everything (I know how much you all love them) but they simply cannot play with the bigtime programs in the Pac10, traditionally speaking. They have a tough time playing with UCLA and Arizona, and please don't whine about how close they made it with UCLA, because if you watched that game, it was never even that. If you want to be considered elite Pac10 and be Top Ten, then beat one of them. Still the best win for them is at Gonzaga, which isn't as big as it usually is.

If UCLA wins they are a game up on WSU and ASU (likely as they are losing now). But thats no guarantee. True dogfight.

Just keep Vick away from the wild, wild west. Dru's boy.

Lux said...

3- Tennessee
4- Duke
5- UCLA
6- North Carolina
7- Georgetown
8- Indiana
9- Michigan State
10- Texas

All of these teams would have a tough time at Zona, half would lose.

Low had a terrible night and when that happens, they lose. Same with Texas, UNC, Georgetown and Indiana. All teams that rely to heavily on one player.

My bet is on Low not having a bad night during the tourney though, he's not a freshman.

I think Xavier's win is more representative of Dayton being incredibly overrated as opposed to Xavier being a sweet 16 team. We're not the two people with Dayton at 15 though.

ASU lost last night though, they have a must win game tomorrow at home to get any kind of decent seed. We'll also know tomorrow if Stanford is legit.

Huge day tomorrow, I can't wait to see the Zaga spread. They're going to come at Memphis hard, a win will guarantee them a tourney birth.

Lux said...

9 to 1 odds against Gonzaga, I'M THERE

M. Drury said...

I would have to agree about Wash St....they just didn't play well on the road, but lux is right lowe makes that team go and when he only scores 5 points all night they have a much lower chance of winning games.

First half of the memphis zaga game was quite interesting. Memphis came out hot and the zags were still jet lagged...but they pulled it together and we will see what the second half has in store.


any other thoughts on the rest of todays games?

Lux said...

I took Indiana -7.5, UConn is missing two key guards to a suspension.

I've learned to stay away from Kansas spreads.

Gonzaga was doing alright once they got used to Memphis's style but athleticism is winning this game. This is the best I've seen Rose play all season though, wow. A lot of time left though and Memphis can't make free throws. One of the reasons why I'm hesitant to have them in my top 4.

Lux said...

I can't wait to finally take Indiana out of my poll. They are terrible.

I know UConn is good but Indiana has the best homecourt advantage in the country outside of Cameron and UConn was down two key guards.

Indiana's shot tonights made JMU's shot selections look good.

Peace I'm out