Saturday, January 12, 2008

Week 10

24 comments:

Lux said...

1. UCLA
2. Kansas
3. Memphis
4. UNC
5. Georgetown
6. Duke
7. Texas AM
8. Wash St
9. Texas
10. Indiana
11. Marquette
12. Tenn
13. Ole Miss
14. Butler
15. Arizona State
16. Oregon

I don't think anyone else is giving Kansas enough respect, they are absolutely manhandling good teams. Their average margin of victory is 25 points and that includes games against Arizona, USC, Depaul, Ohio, G Tech, Miami (Ohio), BC and Nebraska. UNC in comparison, really doesn’t have one impressive win outside of Clemson which now doesn’t even look that good. Memphis has also been destroying people and they have a laundry list of solid wins but I’m going to give Kansas the benefit of the doubt.

How far do you guys think Syracuse will get in the NIT? Their best win right now is Washington.

Can all of you stop with this A10 bullshit? I’ll even ignore losses in this discussion, lets just look at wins. Dayton has beaten Lville and an injured Pitt. Rhode Island has beaten Syracuse. St Joes has beaten UMass. Am I supposed to be impressed? The only decent team is Xavier and they have just as many impressive losses as they do impressive wins. I can make a better case for Baylor entering my Power 16 more than any team in the A10.

Some huge games in the Pac 10 this week, thank god for Fox Sports Net.

Lux said...

Gtown is -2 at Pitt? I'm all over that. Stay away from Kansas -15 home against Oklahoma.

Matt. said...

1- Memphis
2- North Carolina
3- UCLA
4- Kansas
5- Tennessee
6- Georgetown
7- Duke
8- Marquette
9- Indiana
10- Michigan State
11- Texas
12- Butler
13- Texas A&M
14- Washington State
15- Dayton
16- Arizona State

Having a tough time believing you can make a better case for Baylor. Not going to put anyone in my 16 that loses to Arkansas at home.

The anti-A10 argument is the same person who ranks Ole Miss although their best win is against Clemson (which doesn't look so good now). You also moved up Washington State for getting completely outplayed for 38 minutes against UCLA. WSU's big win is against Gonzaga/Baylor (both looking about the same right now). But they are an Elite Eight/2 seed.

Yet the winner of the SEC is one rank above probably the 4th best team in the conference, and Texas A&M (who's big win is Ohio State/Washington?) is also an Elite 8/2 seed.

Now I agree Texas A&M is good but that good? Play somebody.

Not sure I want to even touch the Oregon play there, except to say that you need a certain quota of Pac10 teams in your rankings and that has been understandable to date. I can only believe that you had the 16th spot open and it was going to the winner of the Oregon/Stanford game. Guess that makes sense.....

Whoever said anything about St. Joseph's, you are just making shit up right now.

And if Xavier was in the Holy Pac10 or any other major conference you would have them ranked right now. Good schedule, two losses to teams in both our rankings. Boo hoo.

Matt. said...

Take Georgetown big. Lux is right about the OU game though. Capel is scrappy and they'll keep it close for 30 minutes.

Lux said...

If I remember correctly, tenn won at the buzzer on a prayer AT HOME against ole miss. tenn can't rebound and they rely on the 3 ball, I don't care if they go undefeated in the sec. They are a 2nd round exit waiting to happen.

wsu was outplayed yes but away at ucla? They scored seven 3's in a row to end the game. That's more points than your 10th pick score in an entire half this weekend against fucking iowa.

If xavier was in the pac 10 and lost to asu by 20, they would not be ranked. Especially when they'd lose at washington.

Matt, I'm sorry my list doesn't look like your boy parrish's list. Some of us are trying to provide a counter opinion against media hype and rpi. Once again, I'm not trying to pick the top 4 seeds, I'm trying to predict the top 16 teams. Record and schedule isn't all I look at. That's why I might rank gonzaga soon. They'd beat dayton 7 times out of 10.

Lux said...

And you know how good texas am is so I'm flattered that you're picking on me for that. Final four contenders.

M. Drury said...

1. UNC
2. UCLA
3. Memphis
4. Kansas
5. Duke
6. Tenn
7. Wash St
8. Texas A & M
9. Georgetown
10. Indiana
11. Butler
12. Texas
13. Marquette
14. Michigan St
15. Ole Miss
16. Wisconsin/Dayton

A few games that caught my attention last week. First off the Wash St at UCLA game. I thought Wash St would have come out a little better, but they showed they have heart and can come back. (Note they had just played USC in LA on Thursday night and had less than a 48 hours turn around to play UCLA at Pauley). Still the second best team in the Pac 10.

UNC crush NC State on Sat. Don't know if any of you caught that game but they looked good. As long as they stay heathly they are going to be tought to beat.

Lux I would have to say that Kanasas is looking really good right now I am just not sold on them for some reason. I know they have big wins but I just don't see them doing well late in the season.

Sleeper team in my 16 this week is Wisconsin. They only have losses to Duke (at Cameron and Marquette). They prob won't lose a game at home this year and might lose two on the road Indiana and Mich St. That if Mich St can make a basket at home.

As for all this A-10 BS, I would like to say that they have two fairly decent teams Xavier and Dayton. Neither team is great but they will ruin someones second round in the tournament. My pick would be Xavier. Either way we will see what they do in conference play Rhode Island isn't that great and St.Joes/UMass won't last the whole season playing as well as they have early on.

M. Drury

Lux said...

Dru, I was skeptical of kansas too but you'll come around. Beating oklahoma by 30 tonight might help.

Good thing I didn't bet much on gtown. I've had a very mixed record the last few days, fun as shit though. I'm going to focus on moneyline's though, spreads cause undue stress.

Lux said...

From the Oklahoma coach after last night's game:

The Sooners lost to No. 2 Memphis 63-53 on Nov. 15.

"I think (the Jayhawks) are better," Capel said. "They are the best team we've played and we have played some really good teams. They are so balanced. They shoot better than Memphis. They are bigger. They are probably equally as good in transition but this team passes the ball better.

"I don't think it's close, this is the best team in the country."

M. Drury said...

Lux I would have to say that the game last night has swayed my opinion of the Jayhawks...I would have to agree with Capel that Kansas does look like a better team than Memphis...prob the second best team with UCLA.

What are you looking at as far money lines for this week....i would have to to say that the big east is always going to be up and down as far and the lines go...the teams play so pasty and slow that its hard to tell who will win games (example last night pitt v g-town)

Lux said...

I'm taking Cincy moneyline tonight. It's 5.5 to 1 so I don't need to put much money down and Cincy isn't that bad. If ND gets into foul trouble or if they're tired/unconfident after getting embarassed by Marquette, Cincy could keep this close.

It's also on national tv so I don't think it's a normal away game for Cincy. They wont have the crowd but they'll be ready.

Matt. said...

Lux, I know how you rank your teams which is why I put "elite eight" in there, because if they are a top 8 team in your poll that should mean that right now you think they are an "elite 8" worthy team.

I like Texas A&M too, but not that high. I agree they are talented and heading for the Sweet 16 but they haven't been tested in a while, which means they remain stagnant in my poll.

My poll doesn't look anything like the media/rpi/parrish polls. Your poll is closer to Parrish's than mine. He is the one that you got this Pac 10 mantra from.

Gonzaga next week? Or you gonna wait a little bit longer?

Lux said...

So cincy is up by 7 at the half and then they let notre dame scor 64 in the 2nd half.

Matt. said...

i like florida and some points, and i think (read: think) that delaware is good enough to cover the 12.5 that they are getting.

dayton -5 at home vs umass seems awfully nice as well.

jmu +7 at odu, any takers?

Lux said...

So xavier and dayton both losing by double digits highlights how strong the conference is right?

Jmu is terrible, god

Matt. said...

The Temple loss is pretty bad, I admit. The UMASS loss is a little more understandable, they aren't terrible (not sure if a tourney team, but they'll get some looks).

Paulus got hit in the face tonight, what a cry baby. That game got out of hand quickly, real quickly.

Next time I tell any of you about my picks in this forum, please feel free to bet against what I say (if you don't already). Ride this wave of me being an idiot.

Matt. said...

Texas A&M did not look that great last night, and that might be the first real game they've had since the preseason NIT.

Looked more like the 13th best team than the 7th best last night, just my opinion.

Outside the top four, everyone is a real toss up.

Lux said...

Well UNC almost lost again so I hope most of you stop sucking their (bleep). Clemson in OT and then almost losing to GT does not warrant a 1 or 2 in your poll.

Now, as far as TAM's loss to Texas Tech. They are a solid team with one of the top 3 coaches of all time. It was also a road game for TAM, not a home game for Dayton. And Matt, UMass beating Syracuse last month does not mean UMass is a great team. Underrated yes and they'll probably make the tourney but Dayton didn't just lose, they were outplayed.

Lux said...

Matt, I hope you're proud of me. I've decided to not put money on Vandy tonight even though Tenn is overrated. +10 seems very tempting to me but I'm not going to let this blog cloud by investment decisions.

I am however going large on Oregon+2 at Wash and I took ASU moneyline at Cal. ASU isn't good on the road but I like the odds, they're a better team than Cal and they're on a roll.

I also like Marquette +3 at Lville.

Good games on tonight

Matt. said...

UMASS is better than Temple, and Xavier is probably better than Dayton so like I said, the Temple loss was terrible, while the UMASS loss wasn't bad. No one said anything about them beating Syracuse, nor did I say they were a great team. So not so sure where you are going with that...

Someone knows something I don't (which isn't a surprise) because that Oregon line looks like some real easy money. Which means I probably just jinxed it.

Not all of UNC's wins are impressive but they continue to find ways to win every game. Still think they are more talented than UCLA and Kansas overall, even though they don't always show up to blow people out every night.

JMU is having a meltdown right now, stop the bleeding Keener.

Lux said...

Just call me the joe bloggs gambler.

M. Drury said...

Guys first off sorry about your losses last night....not a good night for oregon and i would have thought that was easy money too. I would have to agree with lux on the texas a &m comment. that was a trap game for them bob knight going for number 900 for the first time at home..lets see how they play on the road at k-state this weekend.

lux you have to remember that unc had not won in atl since the 2001 champ season...the jackets always play well at home and they aren't as bad as they have looked (just can't play on the road)

Matt the fsu duke game did get out of control fast..at least coach k didn't let out a cawcaw scream at the refs when paulus got a cheap shot by the goon from fla st. big acc game sat duke clemson...

Matt. said...

Paulus had that shit coming to him. No hit on Paulus (or any other of his kind) is cheap because he's dirty, and he flops more than any Serbian NBA big guy.

I was going to put this parlay together using Oregon and Rhode Island, sure glad I didn't do that.

The Pac10 is crazy, just when you think one team is out, they play their way in, and vice versa. Jesus.

Can't wait for Saturday, what a huge day.

S. Hartzell said...

there should be a seperate blog just for saturdays in college basketball. good heavens. so many games. I know it's been awhile for me, so I thought I'd list some of my thoughts for yall to marinate on. I've missed the hell out of you my darlings.


they have been criticized heavily within the walls of this forum, but how 'bout Baylor? Now 3-0 in Big XII play and 15-2 overall.

Lux, you're feeling good cause you were spot on with the Pac10. If Southern Cal can go into Pauley Pavillion led by three freshmen in their starting lineup and beat UCLA (who start 4 juniors and Kevin Love, a very mature freshmen) by 11 points, it further proves the point that this years nod for toughest conference is unquestionably the Pac-10.

Speaking of top 3 teams getting beat, the blueprint for beating North Carolina has been made public thanks to the power forwards and centers of Georgia Tech and Maryland, who got in Pycho T's grill and beat him up physically. North Carolina is not a deep team, I never knew how much they relied on that pasty guard Frasor, cause they are razor thin at the guard spot, could spell trouble in late March.

Speaking of pasty, Tyler Hansbrough is the most overrated player in college basketball. He will fade into obscurity when he goes pro. Am I wrong here?

1-UNC-lost at home Sat.
3-Kansas-at Missouri, down in 1st half
4-UCLA-lost at home Sat.
9-TexasA&M-lost Sat.

even if Kansas pulls it off at Missouri, you gotta love that parity is back in college ball this year. You're a moron to be laying significant points with a favorite this time of year, as the likes of UNC showed this week twice (@GT -12, vs. MD -19), UCLA (-11 vs. USC), I could go all night. The only big fav I can think of this week covering was Tenn midweek -10 hosting Vandy. And I watched that whole thing, Vandy was down 8 with 90 seconds to play.

Matt you said earlier this year you had the Blue Ribbon college preview? Never saw one down here in stores, how is it working out for you? Are they accurate in their preseason projections?

Is Arizona State the real deal? Can they keep it within the number tonight (+8) at Stanford? The Cardinal? I liked what I saw in the OT win at Cal, but it's never easy on the road, much less back-to-back roadies. Still though, this just goes to prove how underrated of a coach we all thought Herb Sendek was. Apparently he's more than Julius Hodge and Engin Atsur, two of the dirtiest players in the history of the ACC.

Alabama is a disaster in the disaster that is the SEC this year. now 0-4 in conference play, they will be a good bet-against team from here on in.

Conversely, Mississippi State is now 4-0 in the conference and will get little respect from the betting public on the road. Look at these guys play, very athletic and unknown.

I've got a beat on the SEC. If Lux sticks with the Pac10, Dru with the ACC, and Matt with the BigEast I will have everything I need to make my March to Madness. not to mention make some serious coin.

'