Saturday, January 26, 2008

Week 12

What are you, a fucking park ranger now?

46 comments:

S. Hartzell said...

Lux, I love how you so coyly post a new week during the middle of the madness on a Saturday. And so since this place now doubles as a movie blog, allow me to quote some Half Baked on you in regards to week 12.... "don't break the cypher".

S. Hartzell said...

by the way boys I'm curious tonight on Stanford. A straight up win at Cal--who's reeling, losers 4 of their last 5 times on the hardwood--would make the Cardinal yet another Pac-10 team on my Sweet 16.

What a buzzsaw the West has become.

S. Hartzell said...

Stanford -2 come with me

S. Hartzell said...

Chairman of the boards,

I would like to formally request a counter on this blog if thats possible

Matt. said...

Wasn't Fairview spelled like that instead of whats on this blog? I could understand the first time making the mistake, but twice? Didn't Lux pretty much run that street?

Amateur if you ask me.

Lux said...

I was in a mixed state yesterday but this reminds me of a strange and interesting tale. So pat, cheston and I are spending the afternoon apartment searching. We find this beautiful little one story cape within quick walking distance to the quad, showker, bw3s and what have you. It also had a huge yard which looked quite appropriate for parties and other deviant escapades. so then the old nazi land lord throws us a curve ball...the house was shown earlier that day and the girls were about to make a deposit any minute. Luckily chris lux saw that the plane was about to crash into the mountain so he gave candy 10 dollars right on the spot. Imagine how the lives of possibly half of the jmu student body was impacted by that 10 dollars? Would we have ended up at ashby? The pssoibilities are endless. This leads me to another story, remember when candy showed up unaanounced on the day after we moved in to see the most muddy house of all time? No furniture or anything, nothing but red cups, empty kegs, a few lost student I'd cards and mud as far as matt benjamin could see.

Matt. said...

That first party was immaculate. No lights, no electricity, just a keg, and a backyard, and a house full of darkness. So much mud must have accumulated, that it is surely still there. What a house, and more importantly, what a landlord.

Lux said...

1. Kansas
2. Memphis
3. UCLA
4. UNC
5. Texas
6. Duke
7. Wash St
8. Michigan St
9. Louisville
10. USC
11. Georgetown
12. Arizona
13. Tenn
14. Stanford
15. Gonzaga
16. Butler

Matt. said...

hi

Matt. said...

1- Memphis
2- Kansas
3- Duke
4- UCLA
5- North Carolina
6- Georgetown
7- Michigan State
8- Texas
9- Tennessee
10- Southern California
11- Louisville
12- Xavier
13- Drake
14- Marquette
15- Washington State
16- Kansas State

Last week there weren't enough teams to garner these 16 precious slots, this week there's too many. I love it.

Lux said...

Matt, I'm actually happy with your list outside of drake. How about uconn? I still think lville has the talent to make the final four but pitino still has some work to do. I only watched the first half though. Poor shot selection for lville. Its amazing how most of these teams don't have a go to guy to make big baskets.

Matt I see you tokk gonzaga off your list but answer me this, would you expect drake to be tied with memphis at the half away at memphis?

Matt. said...

Lux, UCONN's back. At least thats what it looks like now. Almost ranked them this week, but most certainly will give them a longer look. They could really pose some matchup problems for teams in the tourney.

You have a point on the Gonzaga/Drake argument. I guess Gonzaga is more of a program, whereas Drake is having their year this year. Drake did have two good wins this week (in conference), and if they run the table in the MVC watch out.

I like your list too. For me the hardest spot was the 10 spot. Thought it may be too hight for USC but there was really no one else.

Michael Beasley is just too good. He can dominate games, and K-State will have a chance in the Kansas/K-State game. That hasn't been said in ages.

Soft night in games. USF/Marquette probably the most intriguing.

Groundhog Day this weekend, what is everyone's plans.

Lux said...

I was planning on grabbing some sweet vermouth and watching the new dvd with deleted scenes.

M. Drury said...

My typical Tuesday post:

1. Kansas
2. Memphis
3. UCLA
4. UNC
5. Duke
6. Michigan St
7. Washington St
8. Texas
9. Tennessee
10. Georgetown
11. Wisconsin
12. USC
13. Butler
14. Stanford
15. Gonzaga
16. Indiana/Xavier

What an interesting Sat...I have to first off say that I have to admit USC in my 16. I know that I was a spectic the last two weeks, but finally pulling it out aganist the ducks was impressive...although they tried to give that game away..keep hackett off the line late in the game.

Gonzaga played very well aganist memphis for about 3/4 of their game....traveling cross country and playing at 9am west coast time is tough on any team...memphis is more athletic and it showed for a strech in the second half.

Where did UConn come from ever since Calhoun came back from his surjury they have been on a tear...watch out big east...georgetwon got away with a luckiy bs win at wvu...that was a definite goaltend by ewing jr.

Matt you are going to tell me that wash st is to high in my poll, but every team has had one bad game this year (minus kansas and memphis)..they just played bad at ariz, but winning at az st doesn't get them any respect in your poll...you are stating that drake, xavier, marquette and usc which they did beat are better teams that wash st right now...please explain this to me.

good day good sirs.

M. Drury

Lux said...

Dru, I like your poll but wisconsin just lost to purdue. Explain that ranking to me please.

What are the finger lakes?

Lux said...

Guys, where's the love for Zona? They're kicking ass now that Mr B is back and they have a top 10 RPI with a SOS of 1. They just won 3 straight in the Pac 10, much more impressive than the A10 flava of the week.

The a10 has 4 teams in the top 26 for RPI on cbs, big east has 3. How do you guys feel about that? Yes I agree, the RPI is flawed.

South Alabama is on a tear, just an FYI.

M. Drury said...

lux...wisky lost to purdue at purdue by 4 points. I watched the game and thought that wisky played well. They are a tough team to beat at home and will be in the mix for the big 10 title this year. Also, in the game sat they had a good look at the end and purdue made a great defensive play got the ball and hit two free throws with less than a second left to make it a 4 point game. I have to admit that they are prob a few spots higher then they should be, but looking at their schedule they only have lost games to duke, purdue, marquette (early when they were playing well). They only have to play mich st once at home so that should be a tight game.

Also, they dictate the tempo of the game and will be a tough team to beat in march. I think Bo Ryan my be the most underrated coach in the country and always does well with the talent that he gets. I should have included zona in my 16 but they had been playing a bit up and down until they hit their winning streak.

Lux said...

I hear ya but onto indiana. You don't think them losing their first home game in over two years to uconn playing without a starting guard is a sign of a meltdown? They don't have one good win and if purdue keeps it up, indiana might be bubble.

M. Drury said...

I agree...i should have taken indiana out of my 16 and inserted zona in there place i just had a hard time taking a two loose team out of the 16 even if if was to a shorten uconn team...i think that the hoosiers might be on a bit a a slide as well. They have two players gordon and white and gordon is young and might start to break down as the season progresses.

Matt. said...

First Xavier beat Indiana, so you should have gone with Xavier there, and make a damn decision the last couple of weeks you are doing this Power 17, whats next...ranking 30 teams?

On Washington State: did you watch the Arizona State game, because I did and they shouldn't have won that. Harden got fouled and there was a no call at the end, unacceptable. Not to mention WAzzou had the game with 3 to go, but failed to score in those last three minutes. Signs of a meltdown coming. Certainly don't think they warrant a Top 7 ranking, but then again you chose to select Wisconsin which shows you eithere A- Don't pay attention to the games being played, or B- like to keep teams at the status quo following losses. Either way, thats just poor showing.

Also like how Butler keeps moving up in your poll for no reason. Jesus, is there logic to your ranking system, or do you just write down teams and post jibberish.

Since you took the position of disagreeing with my Washington State ranking, and cited teams you thought better than them, who thinks that Butler would beat Stanford (based on how they are playing right now) or Gonzaga, I don't. Thats just me though.

I like Zona, was close to ranking them. So lets see how they do in Pauley this Saturday.

Stephen showed up last week, does that mean he won't show up again til mid February?

I also plan on drinking sweet vermouth...on the rocks.

Lux said...

Matt,

Some of us don't have an encyclopedia of rules when making our lists. We pick the best 16 teams that have shown signs, are already play to a level or at least have shown the potential that they're a sweet 16 club.

I have to ask because I think your rather obtuse focus on w/l record has clouded your judjement on Marquette. I've watched them play some of the worst basketball I've seen this year for long stretchest of time. Barely beating their opponent last night is only a slight indication of their shoddy consistency.

Also, I know you love the Big East but Georgetown is way too high. Hibbert hasn't shown me any signs that he really cares about winning a championship.

I would also like to point out that Tenn was a few 3 pointers away from losing to bama last night. I don't think 12 for 27 from downtown is someting they can do consistently. They did outrebound bama though so maybe they're improving but a good coach with a smart team is going to manhandle them. I'd love to see them play Duke, Tenn would lose by 12.

Big games on tonight

Matt. said...

The way this season is going, just about everyone is a couple of 3's away from winning/losing.

It's fine to nitpick on Marquette, but the same argument applies to Washington State in your poll, and all year. Not to mention that you have them as high as 7. Inconsistent, and not playing the best basketball...speaks to many teams.

What Marquette does have is talent, many returning players, some good wins, and a war-tested team.

Just haven't seen any real impressive wins from Texas and Michigan State lately to catapault them over Georgetown. Georgetown has had two games against potential tourney teams in which they have had to fight back and take the game over. Which is what they've done.

I guess I have to ask you who's wins have been better lately, North Carolina or Georgetown. I am curious as to what UNC has done recently to move them back up to where they are.

M. Drury said...

Matt first off my rankings are compiled of a well thought out formula its call common sense and a knowledge of the game of basketball....Wash St beat Ariz St that was my point...your so called foul on harden was not a foul, he may have been touched on the head but he will not win an emmy anytime soon for that terrible acting job....Yes Wast St did blow a lead, but still hung on to win the game...so you have no arguement as to why you have them at 15.

As for xavier/ind i should have prob but xavier in, but i wanted to give ind the benefit of the doubt.

The reason that Butler keeps moving up in my polls is due to the fact that other teams keep loosing games and they keep on winning. Yes I think that they would be Stanford and they would give gonzaga a great game if not win the game. As for my wisky pick I think i have defending that enough as of right now..they are a bit high in my poll but I still think that they are better than any team you have 11-16 with the exception of wash st. how can you put l-ville at 11. what have they done to warrant an 3 seed ...oh wait nothing...scott paggett is not the answer matt (he is nowhere close to the player that brad klotz was)

Lux said...

More importantly, what lines do you guys like tonight? Texas is +3.5 at TAM. Several other lines look pretty interesting.

M. Drury said...

after a quick review

uva +7 @ Md
nova +7.5 @ pitt
vandy + 7 @ miss
kans -7 @ k-state

I would be careful with the texas a&m game...a&m needs a big win and they are tough to be at home. i still think texas wins but i would be careful

Also jmu is a 5.5 point fav at home they never cover spreads at home when favored.

Lux said...

I like all of those for them most part besides UVA, they can be god awful at times.

M. Drury said...

that is very true i think that will play well tonight...they need a win in the acc and maryland is coming off of two tough games aganist unc and duke maybe a let down game

Matt. said...

david padgett
ryan klotz

get it right.

Love Villanova +7
Like Vandy
Think I like South Carolina -3
Do I like Cincinnati +14

Common Sense tells us that Wisconsin is not a Top 16 team. You'll come around, just like you did on USC. YOu moaned about that, then you saw the light. I'm confident that will happen again.

Lux said...

I've lost a lot of money betting on games where a team "needed" a win.

Cincy also looks good, shit.

Lux said...

So I revamp the front of the blog to have a direct espn news feed as well as a hit counter (hartzel's request) and not one compliment? You guys are tough. I'm done, I'm shutting this down. Go join a newsgroup on compuserve.

peace i'm out

hi matt

M. Drury said...

matt i did make the mistake on david paggett and his bro scott but it is jason klotz not ryan my b.

wisky is a top 16 team you will see i will get you to come around on that..and yes usc was in my 16 earlier this year i just didn't think they were playing top 16 worthy as of a week ago.

Lux well done on the counter and the espn news feed this blog is by far the best in the country

Lux said...

Remember guys, check out what the computer models are saying before you risk your hard earned cash.

http://www.accuscore.com/

Lux said...

I think Matt is crazy for loving Nova+7. I'd take Pitt-7 if I had to choose but I would never bet that line.

Vandy+7 seems like easy money but it makes the moneyline look great. I prefer money myself.

Kansas spread is dangerous, K State is good but either they'll lose by 15 or win by 1. Moneyline makes sense though, I'm going to take a small bite at KSU straight up.

Cuse is even at Depaul, I'm trying not to laugh.

Cincy+14 looks tempting but both teams are wildcards.

I'm taking Memphis-9.5, all of the dumb, rich sons of oil men are taking Houston. It should be -14.5.

lata on

Matt. said...

Hi Chris!

I love the frontpage design. You are the greatest blog administrator out there. And again, this site is where its at when it comes to premier college basketball discussion in this nation.

Not sure why you find the SU line laughable. BE teams on the road aren't usually looked at favorably by Vegas, not to mention DePaul has played well in conferece play. I know that SU is under all your radars, but they could pull a road sweep this week to solidify their spot among the 65 selected squads to play in March.

Sure wish I put my life savings down on Cincinnati tonight. Whats wrong with me?

Lux said...

I'm not sure which is worse, WVU tonight or Mich St when they played Iowa.

Matt. said...

The only silver lining there is that WVU will put up more points than Mich State, although WVU is at home, and Mich State was on the road.

Lux, what do you think of ESPN.com featuring the new schedule look.

I for one appreciate the old look, but still get to see the school's entire schedule makes me smile. Just inquiring to your thoughts.

Dru, can you make sure Stephen is alive?

S. Hartzell said...

sorry for my truancy

S. Hartzell said...

Lux you deserve some praise for the renovations to our blogspot. I love how considerate you have become of your peers. A far cry from the Jaded days when you bought a space heater for your bedroom only while the rest of us saw our breath with Candy's oil tank on E. Or your tendency to scoop up the finest groceries in town, only to let them rot in tupperware as you sat on them for 8 months. Travesty. But I see now you've matured as an artist. But had failed to develop as a painter.

I know it's late and the likes of Kansas and Texas are on the ropes at their in-state rivals, but here is my sixteen.

1-memphis
2-kansas
3-ucla
4-tennessee
5-north carolina
6-duke
7-washington state
8-michigan state
9-georgetown
10-indiana
11-texas
12-southern california
13-butler
14-stanford
15-drake
16-florida


I recognize that florida is arguably not one of the 16 best teams talent-wise, but when you are the two-time defending national title holders and you're 18-3 then you deserve a spot on my list. This team is sneaky good, just ask Vanderbilt.

Matt. said...

I'm sipping on the Colonel's thinking of times in the future, when we have the Colonel Threesome together just downing what the Colonel offers.

Go Syracuse!

Lux said...

Hartzell,

Those were really fucking good groceries too. Were you around when Dan and Pat starting eating half cooked eggs with their fingers one night after the bars? I have the pictures somewhere. A few might have evaporated on my space heater though, that thing was hot.

Guys,

How did Kansas State get Beasley? I should already know this and I'm also too lazy to look it up.

Matt,

I don't mind the new espn layout but its saving me schedule clicks which is damn fantastic.

I went 2 for 3 tonight with a moneyline, finally.

Matt Benjamin:

"Love Villanova +7"

The streak continues, I think I should ask matt for his picks every day. I'll put the exact opposite out in a subscription newsletter. I'd be rich fast.

I heard Guiliani is trying to walk on KSU next season, anyone else hear that?

Lux said...

Big win for Cuse tonight, nice one Matty.

Other observations on this evening:

1. Nebraska should be demoted to the CAA.
2. JMU loses by 3 at home when they were -5.5.
3. I had money on Umass and then changed my mind, that was real dumb.
4. Beasley didn't even look tired tonight.
5. I really thought KSU was going to blow it when they were up 10 with 8 min to play. They took quick, deep 3 pointers with no one under the basket within the first 5 seconds of the possession 6 times in a row. They need to stop that shit fast if they want to stay on the Beasley night train.
6. Matt was right on s carolina, someone get him a cookie.
7. I just got a text from Jade...to be continued.

Matt. said...

Fear the Orange come March. How many other teams nationally could take the hit that Boeheim's Boys have taken and still be in the discussion for a bid (although right now they are a lock). Seriously. You all have to start considering this team, and possibly Boeheim as coach of the year.

Beasley University (aka K-State) is for real. And you got that information from me first.

I want a cookie.

Matt. said...

Giuliani is walking on at Florida next year...its coming out now that that was his strategy all along. Probably won't start playing until conference play though.

Lux said...

I took all kind of crazy spreads tonight, especially duke at greater than 10 to 1 odds with nc state moneyline. It makes a duke loss that much sweeter. I'm actually warming to duke but its so much fun hating them that ill prob never stop.

Lots of games tonight, wish more of them were on tv. 800 channels and we can't get 3 dedicated to the top 5 conferences? I know its because of exclusive arrangements with regional affiliates but I'm sure they could figure out a way. Its a short season though, maybe its not worth turners effort.

Sir Glockenspiel said...

Winter, slumbering in the open air, wears on its smiling face a dream... of spring. Ciao.

Lux said...

Zona plus 9.5 looks tasty.