wake is at 9 and yet I'm supposed to respect you as an individual. You want to put the ACC 1-2 in your poll which would suggest something about your tendencies as a college basketball observer, yet you leave Dino Gaudio's boys behind an unranked Gonzaga team.
I respect Gonzaga for scheduling the toughest non-conference out of anyone that has gone anywhere near any of our lists. Wake's on the other hand, looks more like a Big East non-conference schedule. Luckily they scheduled Baylor at home and god they must have been pissed when they realized Baylor was actually good this year.
Vegas has Gonzaga tied for 9th to win it all and kenpom.com has them at 2 right now in his power rankings. Couple weeks late though Hartzell, yes I'm big on Gonzaga. GOOD ONE
8 point dawgs tonight Matt, more than you expected?
heres my point, Luxinator, Wake plays your Zags on a neutral floor tomorrow, its not Mark Few's team that will be favored. In fact, considering what Wake did already this season going to BYU and ending the nation's longest home winning streak in front of 26,000 raucous mormons, I think you'd see a pickem price if Wake and Gonzaga hooked up at the Kennel out in Spokane.
Wake Forest beats Gonzaga 9 games out of 10. period.
Wow you're pulling up boxscores to justify having the Coaches and AP #1 team buried in your poll ahead of an unranked Gonzaga squad. Desperate.
Here's where I remind you that your beloved WCC squad has ONE true road win against a worthy adversary and that was at Tennessee. A nice win, but a lonely one when you consider losing by 5 at Arizona, losing by 1 at Utah, and in between having a Richie Tenenbaum-esque meltdown in the final five minutes vs UConn, and oh yeah, 7 point home loss to lowly Portland State. Is Heytvelt back on the magic mushies? Is he feeding you stems and caps before you put together this sham of a power 16?
I haven't even revisited the notion you threw out over the weekend, accusing Arizona State of being a one-trick pony right before they went into Pauley Pavillion and got an overtime win vs UCLA. Good to know Herb Sendek and his band of merry men read our blog before big games.
Suck on it: 1--Wake Forest 2--North Carolina 3--Pittsburgh 4--Duke 5--Texas 6--Connecticut 7--Oklahoma 8--Arizona State 9--Michigan State 10-Syracuse 11-UCLA 12-Georgetown 13-Louisville 14-Gonzaga 15-Notre Dame 16-Minnesota
1st off, UCLA blew that game. Not scoring in the last 8 or so minutes of regulation was just pathetic. I watched the whole game and still think UCLA is the best team in the Pac 10. They need to work on getting the ball away from the perimeter quicker but I'm sure balldy is on it.
1- Connecticut 2- Duke 3- Wake Forest 4- North Carolina 5- Oklahoma 6- Pittsburgh 7- Michigan State 8- Syracuse 9- Louisville 10- Texas 11- Marquette 12- UCLA 13- Gonzaga 14- Georgetown 15- Arizona State 16- Notre Dame
Just a couple of notes:
Lux, the Baylor/Wake game was on a neutral court, thats what the little asterisk means on their schedule. We can make cases for or against teams on non conf schedule, but there is a conference schedule, and those games are the most recent. I think beating UNC and Clemson (in a hostile environment, albeit the most overrated team in the nation) garner a 1 seed.
I dont know how many times Wake beats Zaga on a neutral, but its more than 5. Don't know how Gonzaga comes in ahead of Uconn for you Lux, but you also have Purdon't on your books, which I guess makes some sort of sense. Gonzaga did have the toughest non conference schedule, which makes up for the horrid conference they play in. Sure there's SMC and maybe San Diego, but its not the BE, P10, Big 10, or ACC.
I hate to beat a dead horse, but how can you make those comments about ASU, then say that UCLA blew the game (still not accrediting ASU with a good performance) and then insert them in your rankings.
I wouldn't worry to much about last night Matty. From what I saw, Syracuse has the potential to go very far in March. I sure as hell wouldn't want to play them.
And Matt, UCLA did blow that game but it doesn't mean I wasn't impressed by how well ASU played on the road.
Thank you Lux for the explanation on ASU. I just thought it'd be fair to request one given your scathing remarks regarding Herb's Herbs.
As for the Syracuse game, if you looked at their schedule at the beginning of the year there were two games you could chalk up as losses (no matter how optimistic one is) at Pitt, and at UConn. I'll be at the UConn game so I hope that goes the other way, but still.
Just purchased my tickets for the Boeheim v. Pitino match on Sunday. After T-bagging Harangody this weekend, I plan on table topping Edgar Sosa this weekend.
Marquette is better than a lot of teams out there, and is a veteran group with some very talented guard play. They're a factore in the BE for the moment, and thats Power 16 worthy.
Well sorry Matt the blog has been pretty dead this week. Which is quite surprising given the upsets that took place this week.
Weekly Recap: Pitt is tough at home with that said everyone is the big east must win at home to keep their tourney hopes alive...stealing road win in that conference will show how good a team really is....ie l-ville what have they done on the road yet...all of their big wins are at home
Side note...Duke was losing to the pack on Tues...until i put on my magic shoot shirt...i think i found the reverse to the curse for my dukies
Wake went down..it was bound to happen just didn't see it coming at home to vt....i was hoping it would come to duke this week...and let the clemson meltdown begin...over under on them losing 4of next 7
What WVU and Mich St teams are going to show up...WVU plays poor in one game and then they just crush georgetown....nw win at msu might be the most impressive win of the year...better than either on of the arkan wins aganist the big 12
Cal has just fallen off the radar...losing at home to oregon st...guess everyone has to lose to oregon st this year since obama took office (exec order for his bro in law)
Alright, so I'm watching this horrid Duke-Maryland and got to thinking about Gary Williams. The seat he sits on must be hot, Maryland probably thinks that they are something that they aren't. So I got to talking to Dur (who provided us with a great recap, thankfully i read his post upon exiting the coma i'd been in all week?) about this and found these numbers. Since winning the national championship Maryland is 123-72 yet only 51-45 in ACC. That overall record may be skewed because of a 25-9 record in 06-07.
I'm not making a case for him to be fired, because I think he should have that job for the rest of time, also who could they really get Maryland is not a top-notch job. Just thought we could kick around the idea of whether or not UofM would fire him after this year, especially given the lack of effort his team is showing today.
Hartzell, you may want to jump on Northeastern, catching 3.5 at ODU.
What about someone like Brad Stevens for the Terapins? Obviously he has a great thing going at Butler but would the salary be double if he moves to the ACC?
great to hear my man Gus Johnson with the call on CBS today. Memphis/Tenn not exactly a heavyweight bout but the game gets elevated with Gus "the slipper still fits" Johnson.
His first season was last year so I don't think anyone else made him an offer at the end of the season but I could be wrong. I just did a search and saw that he signed a 7 yr contract before this season started. Smart move, it gives him the time to really build the program and not worry about recruiting one and done players.
UCLA has got issues. They can't score points. For the second straight Saturday I saw the Bruins go scoreless for critical minutes at the end of the 2nd half (see Arizona State) and this team worries me.
From the 6:20 mark to 1:13 left in the second half, UCLA scored 1 point. Just not a whole lot of scorers on this Bruins team. lost too much to the draft with underclassman Kevin Love (nba bust) and Russel Westbrook (baller in the making w/Durant in OKC)
Collison isn't consistent at generating baskets in those droughts either. He can create his own shots but they're usually terrible (see ASU game). You're right Hartzell, they're in trouble. I might take them out of my 16 until further notice.
27 comments:
1- UNC
2- Duke
3- Pitt
4- Texas
5- Michigan St
6- Lville
7- Gonzaga
8- UConn
9- Wake
10- Oklahoma
11- UCLA
12- Georgetown
13- Syracuse
14- Arizona St
15- Notre Dame
16- Purdue
wake is at 9 and yet I'm supposed to respect you as an individual. You want to put the ACC 1-2 in your poll which would suggest something about your tendencies as a college basketball observer, yet you leave Dino Gaudio's boys behind an unranked Gonzaga team.
Laughable, man.
I respect Gonzaga for scheduling the toughest non-conference out of anyone that has gone anywhere near any of our lists. Wake's on the other hand, looks more like a Big East non-conference schedule. Luckily they scheduled Baylor at home and god they must have been pissed when they realized Baylor was actually good this year.
Vegas has Gonzaga tied for 9th to win it all and kenpom.com has them at 2 right now in his power rankings. Couple weeks late though Hartzell, yes I'm big on Gonzaga. GOOD ONE
8 point dawgs tonight Matt, more than you expected?
heres my point, Luxinator, Wake plays your Zags on a neutral floor tomorrow, its not Mark Few's team that will be favored. In fact, considering what Wake did already this season going to BYU and ending the nation's longest home winning streak in front of 26,000 raucous mormons, I think you'd see a pickem price if Wake and Gonzaga hooked up at the Kennel out in Spokane.
Wake Forest beats Gonzaga 9 games out of 10. period.
9 out of 10? Please. I can see an argument for 6-7 out of 10 but Tim Duncan no longer plays for Wake.
I'm impressed with them and they'll be charging up my list if this keeps up but 19 turnovers against the most overrated team in the country?
Wow you're pulling up boxscores to justify having the Coaches and AP #1 team buried in your poll ahead of an unranked Gonzaga squad. Desperate.
Here's where I remind you that your beloved WCC squad has ONE true road win against a worthy adversary and that was at Tennessee. A nice win, but a lonely one when you consider losing by 5 at Arizona, losing by 1 at Utah, and in between having a Richie Tenenbaum-esque meltdown in the final five minutes vs UConn, and oh yeah, 7 point home loss to lowly Portland State. Is Heytvelt back on the magic mushies? Is he feeding you stems and caps before you put together this sham of a power 16?
I haven't even revisited the notion you threw out over the weekend, accusing Arizona State of being a one-trick pony right before they went into Pauley Pavillion and got an overtime win vs UCLA. Good to know Herb Sendek and his band of merry men read our blog before big games.
Suck on it:
1--Wake Forest
2--North Carolina
3--Pittsburgh
4--Duke
5--Texas
6--Connecticut
7--Oklahoma
8--Arizona State
9--Michigan State
10-Syracuse
11-UCLA
12-Georgetown
13-Louisville
14-Gonzaga
15-Notre Dame
16-Minnesota
1st off, UCLA blew that game. Not scoring in the last 8 or so minutes of regulation was just pathetic. I watched the whole game and still think UCLA is the best team in the Pac 10. They need to work on getting the ball away from the perimeter quicker but I'm sure balldy is on it.
Minnesoda looked good against Northwestern.
Sixteen Teams, One Dream:
1- Connecticut
2- Duke
3- Wake Forest
4- North Carolina
5- Oklahoma
6- Pittsburgh
7- Michigan State
8- Syracuse
9- Louisville
10- Texas
11- Marquette
12- UCLA
13- Gonzaga
14- Georgetown
15- Arizona State
16- Notre Dame
Just a couple of notes:
Lux, the Baylor/Wake game was on a neutral court, thats what the little asterisk means on their schedule. We can make cases for or against teams on non conf schedule, but there is a conference schedule, and those games are the most recent. I think beating UNC and Clemson (in a hostile environment, albeit the most overrated team in the nation) garner a 1 seed.
I dont know how many times Wake beats Zaga on a neutral, but its more than 5. Don't know how Gonzaga comes in ahead of Uconn for you Lux, but you also have Purdon't on your books, which I guess makes some sort of sense. Gonzaga did have the toughest non conference schedule, which makes up for the horrid conference they play in. Sure there's SMC and maybe San Diego, but its not the BE, P10, Big 10, or ACC.
I hate to beat a dead horse, but how can you make those comments about ASU, then say that UCLA blew the game (still not accrediting ASU with a good performance) and then insert them in your rankings.
To get 9 points to Pitt in the Zoo might be a lot. Obviously I like my boys in an upset.
But I'll put money on Providence and Texas A&M to cover this evening.
Yes I am alive:
1. UNC
2. Duke
3. Wake
4. UConn
5. Pitt
6. Oklahoma
7. Michigan St
8. Texas
9. Cuse
10. UCLA
11. Arizona St
12. Zags
13. Marquette
14. ND
15. Lville
16. Butler
Whats with the Marquette love affair, Monsieurs Benjamin and Jenkins? Just don't see it. Not when there's five B.E. teams better. Lux agrees with me.
I wouldn't worry to much about last night Matty. From what I saw, Syracuse has the potential to go very far in March. I sure as hell wouldn't want to play them.
And Matt, UCLA did blow that game but it doesn't mean I wasn't impressed by how well ASU played on the road.
Thank you Lux for the explanation on ASU. I just thought it'd be fair to request one given your scathing remarks regarding Herb's Herbs.
As for the Syracuse game, if you looked at their schedule at the beginning of the year there were two games you could chalk up as losses (no matter how optimistic one is) at Pitt, and at UConn. I'll be at the UConn game so I hope that goes the other way, but still.
Just purchased my tickets for the Boeheim v. Pitino match on Sunday. After T-bagging Harangody this weekend, I plan on table topping Edgar Sosa this weekend.
Marquette is better than a lot of teams out there, and is a veteran group with some very talented guard play. They're a factore in the BE for the moment, and thats Power 16 worthy.
Hartzell, do you still not respect me as an individual because I have Wake at 9?
Here's the best weekly ranking in the world if any of you are curious:
http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/story.cfm/story/809788
thats a pretty nice site lux. very informative, thank you for sharing.
you ranking Washington Monday right?
Can the site administrator ban Dur from participating, all we get this week is a ranking.....no illustrious comments.
Priorities.
Well sorry Matt the blog has been pretty dead this week. Which is quite surprising given the upsets that took place this week.
Weekly Recap:
Pitt is tough at home with that said everyone is the big east must win at home to keep their tourney hopes alive...stealing road win in that conference will show how good a team really is....ie l-ville what have they done on the road yet...all of their big wins are at home
Side note...Duke was losing to the pack on Tues...until i put on my magic shoot shirt...i think i found the reverse to the curse for my dukies
Wake went down..it was bound to happen just didn't see it coming at home to vt....i was hoping it would come to duke this week...and let the clemson meltdown begin...over under on them losing 4of next 7
What WVU and Mich St teams are going to show up...WVU plays poor in one game and then they just crush georgetown....nw win at msu might be the most impressive win of the year...better than either on of the arkan wins aganist the big 12
Cal has just fallen off the radar...losing at home to oregon st...guess everyone has to lose to oregon st this year since obama took office (exec order for his bro in law)
Saturday's sensual selections ATS:
CofC -6 at Citadel (cheap price for Cremins the legend)
Kentucky -6 at Ala (fade Bama all year--Ronald Steele out for the year)
Tennessee -2' vs Mem (my brother Bruce Pearl)
Baylor +7 at Okla (hunch play)
UCLA +1 at Wash (seriously?! give me Howland and co.)
Miss. St -3 at UGA (no write up needed here)
Colorado +7 vs KState (in J. Bzedzlik I trust, plus the altitude)
Notre Dame -2 vs. UConn (Gody vs Thabeet I'll take the proven commodity)
LSU -2' vs X (LSU is my pick to win the wild wild west, gotta back em)
9 total plays, we're shooting for 65% winners
Alright, so I'm watching this horrid Duke-Maryland and got to thinking about Gary Williams. The seat he sits on must be hot, Maryland probably thinks that they are something that they aren't. So I got to talking to Dur (who provided us with a great recap, thankfully i read his post upon exiting the coma i'd been in all week?) about this and found these numbers. Since winning the national championship Maryland is 123-72 yet only 51-45 in ACC. That overall record may be skewed because of a 25-9 record in 06-07.
I'm not making a case for him to be fired, because I think he should have that job for the rest of time, also who could they really get Maryland is not a top-notch job. Just thought we could kick around the idea of whether or not UofM would fire him after this year, especially given the lack of effort his team is showing today.
Hartzell, you may want to jump on Northeastern, catching 3.5 at ODU.
i'll take the following:
utep -4.5
jmu -6.5
long beach st. -8.5
rutgers +5.5
penn state -6
ucla +1.5
vcu -6.5
northeastern +3.5
What about someone like Brad Stevens for the Terapins? Obviously he has a great thing going at Butler but would the salary be double if he moves to the ACC?
I feel like Stevens had an opportunity elsewhere and turned it down last year and/or the year before. But thats a nice name. Good knowledge Lux.
Today's loss may go a long way to deciding Mr. Williams' fate.
Lux who you got in today's Pac10 clashes?
great to hear my man Gus Johnson with the call on CBS today. Memphis/Tenn not exactly a heavyweight bout but the game gets elevated with Gus "the slipper still fits" Johnson.
His first season was last year so I don't think anyone else made him an offer at the end of the season but I could be wrong. I just did a search and saw that he signed a 7 yr contract before this season started. Smart move, it gives him the time to really build the program and not worry about recruiting one and done players.
Cal+14.5
WSU-1.5
Oregon St+16
UCLA has got issues. They can't score points. For the second straight Saturday I saw the Bruins go scoreless for critical minutes at the end of the 2nd half (see Arizona State) and this team worries me.
From the 6:20 mark to 1:13 left in the second half, UCLA scored 1 point. Just not a whole lot of scorers on this Bruins team. lost too much to the draft with underclassman Kevin Love (nba bust) and Russel Westbrook (baller in the making w/Durant in OKC)
Pac10 is wide open. Go Oregon state!
Collison isn't consistent at generating baskets in those droughts either. He can create his own shots but they're usually terrible (see ASU game). You're right Hartzell, they're in trouble. I might take them out of my 16 until further notice.
Typo on Cal, I'm -13.5.
Post a Comment