Sunday, December 21, 2008

Week 6

There is a lot to digest this week after that amazing Saturday.

16 comments:

Lux said...

1- UNC
2- Connecticut
3- Gonzaga
4- Pitt
5- Texas
6- Oklahoma
7- UCLA
8- Duke
9- Ohio State
10- ND
11- Tenn
12- Purdue
13- Michigan State
14- Lville
15- Georgetown
16- Cuse

Matt. said...

Your Holiday Cheer:

1- North Carolina
2- Connecticut
3- Oklahoma
4- Pittsburgh
5- Notre Dame
6- Texas
7- Duke
8- Gonzaga
9- Syracuse
10- UCLA
11- Arizona State
12- Ohio State
13- Michigan State
14- Wake Forest
15- Louisville
16- X

Lux, Georgetown? Above Syracuse? You love to ridicule schedules, so why are you enamored with Georgetown? Eventually they'll be good enough to rank but I'm not sure right now.

God you love Gonzaga.

Pretty good weekend, disappointed in Davidson and X though. This has been a pretty nice start to the season with all these top notch out of conference matchups. Hard to believe that people still think that the college season doesn't mean anything because of the tournament. Seems to me like there's a lot to play for each time out.

I will lambast anyone who punishes Syracuse for that loss to Cleveland State. You've been warned.

M. Drury said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M. Drury said...

Back from the Dead (aka Jimmy V hangover):

Merry Christmas:
1. UNC (as well as 2, 3, 4 and 5 for that matter)
2. UConn (got lucky in the zaga game, but showed they are a quality team)
3. Oklahoma
4. Pitt
5. Texas
6. ND
7. Duke
8. Gonzaga
9. UCLA
10. Wake
11. Cuse
12. Xavier
13. Ohio St
14. Arizona St
15. Mich St
16. Tenn

Great Sat of bball. Nice win for the Cuse Matt (whats up with your boy devenslapp)

I would like to comment of the "Battle of Seattle"

Thought it was a great game, the officiating did however determine the outcome> For those that watched you could see the zags had 3 guys on the bench to end the game all bc of very questionable fouls calls. Aj Price got lucky with the 3 to force OT, but Pargo looked shaky with the ball down the stretch. If that trend continues then the zags are no better than a sweet 16/elite 8 team.

As for other games...Duke looked good (I can say that for the first time all year)...if they play like that then UNC might have a tought time going undee of the season.

Enjoy the holidays can't wait for the conference season to hit full swing.

Lux said...

Matt,

Still won't rank Purdue? They are significantly better than Wake and Arizona St. Thought that beat down on Davidson would finally convince you.

Oh and I'm sorry for not ranking Cuse higher but I made it clear last week how overrated I thought Memphis was. Devendorf will be missed and we'll have to wait for conference play to see exactly how much. I didn't even want to rank them but there's no one else deserving in my opinion. I have no idea why you're hotter on ASU than I am.

So let me get this straight guys, your #2 gets lucky against Gonzaga which means they are worse than Pitt, ND, Texas, OU and Duke now? Are we watching the same games?

My opinion on Duke hasn't changed, they went on a hot streak on the 3 ball which stunned Xavier in the 1st half. The guys looked visibly shaken and it was a borderline home game for Duke. The game merely proved how bad Xavier is, not how good Duke is. (I only had X ranked at 16 last week unlike some of you and it was a lack of options for me, they're very much a midmajor)

Looks like you're almost making a case for the Big East to grab 3 of the 1 seed slots. Interesting . . .

Lux

M. Drury said...

Good point lux....I will explain why I dropped the zags so low. They lose to Zona, I didn't see any of the game, but a lose is a lose.

Then they should have won the game against UConn...no excuse why they couldn't have held on in regulation. They can be a 1 seed in the tournament, but the way they are playing right now makes them a 2 seed. The fact that they cannot get consistent play from any one players hurts their game flow and makes it tough for Few to decide who plays well together.

I think at the end of the season they could be the second best team in the country, but until they iron out all of the kinks they are a lock for a two seed.

As for Matt having 3 BE teams in his top 5 ( is that surprise to anyone) I mean by the end of the season he will have 8 in his 16. I would have a agree that they have the deepest conference, but when it comes tourney time they just don't have teams that can perform. See Lville, Nova, Cuse, ND and for that matter Pitt. Let see how the conference schedule treats all of these teams.

Should be an interest next few weeks. Wish they showed more basketball during "bowl season" since most of the football games have sucked thus far and don't seem to be improving any time soon.

Matt. said...

Gonzaga has some flaws, and both Connecticut and Arizona have shown that in the last two weeks. The 1 seed in the West will be between UCLA/Gonzaga/ or the Big East two. UNC will be one, the Big East 1 will be the other, and the better team of OU/Texas will have the 4th.

So Gonzaga needed either one of those last two to still say they had it over UCLA or the BE 2. Right now thats just not the case. Who knows who will be the 2 in the Big East. Which is why I've been bunching them. I think UCONN is a top 2/3 team in the nation though, and after that there is about 10 teams that could go either way.

Syracuse will have Devendorf back most likely to start conference play. He just has to complete community service. Their three best wins are all on neutrals or straight road affairs. They seem like they'll be fine come conference play.

Lux don't you have six BE teams in, while I have five? Why don't you like Arizona State by the way. James Harden is an All-American.

Tennessee guys? I'm still not sold on Purdon't as a sweet 16 team. They'll get a 4 or 5 and get picked early. Mark it.

S. Hartzell said...

Why is Tennessee still garnering love from you three? Anyone see the scoreline over the weekend when they beat Belmont by a deuce (in Knoxville). Say what you will about me ranking Davidson the first six weeks, atleast it's an ethos.

the BigTen got legit over the weekend with wins over Louisville and Texas and beloved Davidson all of which came at neutral sites, in what I hope is not going to become some kind of disturbing trend this season...where the big10 takes care of business against the game's elite.

Lux your power 16 is in shambles. There's no rhyme or reason why the buckeyes are now creeping toward 2seed territory, while louisville apparently can still beat the likes of syracuse, georgetown, or anyone in your adopted hometown teams in the pac10. I'm actually kindof stunned that clemson didnt make your list this week at the rate you're going.

Admittedly I agree with a lot of the words coming from Matthew D Benjamin, except when it comes to banging on Purdue. The boilers shit the bed when they hosted duke, but aside from that have played good, efficient basketball, and arent as 1-dimensional as the majority of teams in the Big Ten.

Speaking of the big10, watch out for the Minnesota Golden Gophers. Tubby is back, baby!



1 UNC
2 UConn
3 Texas
4 Pitt.
5 'Zaga
6 Okla.
7 Duke
8 UCLA
9 Irish
10 Purdue
11 MichSt.
12 Wake
13 'Cuse
14 ArizSt.
15 XXX
16 G'Town

Lux said...

1. UCLA doesn't have a win yet (just losses).
2. Arizona St really doesn't either.
3. Yes Harden is an all american but he's not going to make 50% of his 3 pointers against decent teams (that's his average right now).

Matt, yes I have 6 big east teams but I agree with Dru. I don't see more than one of them in the final four. I'd put my money on Duke, Zaga, Texas and UCLA before anyone in the Big East (even UConn). Why did Calhoun have a 35% free throw shooter playing at the end of regulation? Terrible coaching.

And I know Gonzaga blew that game but those 45 minutes cemented in my mind that the Zags have the potential to win it all. I'm not sure I can say the same about UConn.

Interesting stat, Vegas has Purdue as the 9th likeliest team to win it all (pretty much tied with Texas and Gonzaga). Your 14th pick is 50 to 1.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/futures/

Matt. said...

I place Arizona State as a team that could beat Tennessee, Georgetown, Purdue, and maybe Ohio State. I would go as far as to say they could beat Wake too. Thats what having an All-American will do for you.

Don't insult your intelligence by arguing that you would put Duke and UCLA ahead of anyone in the Big East. I'll allow Texas and Zaga, but remember that UCONN beat Gonzaga in Seattle, not on the East. So at least for a couple weeks, leave UCONN alone. Duke hasn't shown anyone shit in the last couple years. UCLA has shown this very year that they are a top 10 team, and maybe thats it.

So if you want to say that your final four right now would be UNC, UCONN, Zaga, and the Conor Atchley show, I have no real argument there. But to say that Duke would be in before UCONN, come on your better than that.

Interesting stat, on that same site, Tennessee is given 35 to 1 odds which is 18th. Thats your 3 seed.

Interesting stat number 2, out of the top 20 teams listed with a chance to win the National Championship, guess who has beat the most of those teams...all on neutral or road sites as well.

Look if you want to make a wager with me that Duke will make it to the Final Four before UCONN, I'm all ears.

Correction: Stephen, you generally have kind words for me, but please don't put me in the same Tennessee loving category as these Knuckleheads. I think Tennessee is good, not Power 16 material now (lets see the next two games), especially not 11th.

Belmont, that must give shakes to another blogger.

Seton Hall -3.5
Marquette -1.5.

Lux said...

I don't think UConn has a good enough coaching staff to make the final four this year. I can already read the headline now (Big East disappoints with only one team in the elite 8).

Are you pointing out that my 3 seed should really be a 4.5 seed? If thats the best you can do, thanks for the complement.

Have you watched Arizona St matt or is this one of your espn.com recap specials? They haven't gotten a lot of tv time yet.

Also, I'm warming up to Syracuse but that doesn't mean they have a good enough coach to go deep.

Lux said...

Matt, I'm of course pleased to see JMU +3.5 against the Big East but what does that say about the Big East?

Lux said...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Interesting bracketology came out yesterday. Syracuse a 2 seed? That would be a fucking fantastic gift for the 10 seed.

S. Hartzell said...

Portland State, really?

M. Drury said...

Yeah...what is going on up in Seattle....did the battle of Seattle take that much out of the zags.

On a side note Rick Barnes did not meltdown in frigid Madison and the horns have another nice early season win.

Merry Christmas

S. Hartzell said...

Merry Christmas to all the college basketball degenerates out there.