Sunday, December 14, 2008

Week 5 - Still Hungover

Makers Mark at MSG is always a bad idea and so is being the only group wandering around Grand Central at 1:40AM. Of course none of us were paranoid.

Only one upset this week really (Tenn). Memphis losing in OT to Georgetown isn't an upset by any stretch of the imagine. Zaga ripping up a Wash St defense however was fun to watch. Only a 6 point favorite tonight though, my DVR is set.

14 comments:

Lux said...

Chris Lux
10 East Beach Drive
Rowayton, CT 06853

The 3 of you know who you are: $80

Lux

Matt. said...

Yikes, you make that post, and Zaga goes down. I thought Arizona basketball was dead. Once you watch this on your DVR can you tell me how that happened.

This throws a wrench into things.

Is Dur alive?

Matt. said...

Tis the Season to Be:

1- north carolina
2- uconn
3- texas
4- oklahoma
5- gonzaga
6- pittsburgh
7- notre dame
8- louisville
9- syracuse
10- xavier
11- duke
12- ucla
13- arizona state
14- ohio state
15- wake forest
16- davidson

went back and forth on davidson, but steph curry is good enough to will this team to wins in the tourney, and we all were witnesses on tuesday. not to mention 13-16 is a sample of 10 more potential teams.

not punishing gonzaga really, good out of conference schedule and the WCC isn't the pushover it once was.

duke should also get credit (although not from me) for this schedule. they've still got xavier and davidson on the bill.

i guess i'm on wake. i don't know.

i fuckin hate villanova though.

Lux said...

1- UNC
2- Connecticut
3- Gonzaga
4- Texas
5- Pitt
6- Oklahoma
7- UCLA
8- Ohio State
9- ND
10- Duke
11- Tenn
12- Purdue
13- Lville
14- Michigan State
15- Cuse
16- Xavier

My take from last night: the opposing team needs to make 70% of their 3 pointers and have Heytvelt play terribly for Gonzaga to lose on the road.

S. Hartzell said...

Cleveland State 72
Syracuse 69
Final

Were you in attendance, Matt?

S. Hartzell said...

Since I didnt post until Tuesday night I will include Syracuse since I jotted this power16 on Monday afternoon before the Cleveland State debacle. It's okay though, guys, CSU was picked to win the Horizon, right Matt?

1-North Carolina
2-UConn
3-Gonzaga
4-Texas
5-Oklahoma
6-Pittsburgh
7-UCLA
8-Duke
9-Notre Dame
10-Xavier
11-Wake Forest
12-Syracuse
13-Purdue
14-Michigan State
15-Arizona State
16-Davidson


p.s. Tennessee losing over the weekend at lowly Temple should justify why an SEC ballclub has yet to see my power 16 all season. Unless of course your name is Chris Lux and you have a mancrush on Coach Pearl.

Also, I've seen Ohio State play. They're not going anywhere near the sweet16 this season. Yet to some of you this is the same buckeye team that has guys like Conley and Oden on their roster. Unless you think BJ Mullens is the second coming. Which he aint. Just not seeing it guys, but I encourage you to convince me otherwise.

Tom Brennan is the best thing ESPN's college basketball has got going.

Matt is right about one thing: this upcoming weekend is going to blow the doors off this season, the game matchups are incredible.

Matt. said...

First off, Cleveland State is a good team. They are quick and can run the ball, and shoot it. They were in fact picked to win their division, as they are a senior-laden team that is well coached.

Syracuse was down 5 with less than 30 seconds to go, they got back to a tie, and then a half court shot falls to bring them their first loss. Get off the bandwagon now if you want, didn't want you there to begin with. It would be nice if they went into Memphis and won this weekend though.

Ohio State has some nice wins, and Thad always brings these guys to play. If we've learned anything this year its that the Big 10 is terrible and wide open. I like more from OSU than I like from both Michigan State and Purdue. Then again, I'm not saying they are a 2 seed.

Stephen, can you confirm that Dru is alive?

S. Hartzell said...

you and Lux both are blowing Ohio State they arent top 10 worthy in any poll or any projection the lone nice road win was at Miami and it was when the Canes' best player was wrongfully ejected 7 minutes into the game. While I'm in agreement that the big10 is wide open despite MichSt and PurDont being the favorites, if you're going to pound the buckeyes dont be shocked to start seeing Minnesota pop up in my power 16. We all know who the best coach in the big10 is and his name is Tubby.

Dru update: duder is in Steamboat Springs, CO probably getting a CharlestonSteamer as I type this. He's on vacay with GaTech on a work deal so he gets a free ride. This would be cool except Dru is now a newly-minted Pittsburgh Steeler fan and actually roots for Big Ben and personally that doesnt sit well with me. I doubt we'll be hearing from Dainty Dur until the end of this week.

Who you all got in the ZAGA/UCONN game?

Lux said...

Zaga is gonna take UConn like last year. Memphis isn't very good Matt so I wouldn't worry about Cuse blowing that one.

Tenn had a nice win last night against Marquette. I would say that win is more impressive than Davidson beating WVU.

Ticketmaster is offering buy one get one free for the xavier v duke game in NY. THought that was interesting.

I agree on Ohio State mr hartzell but there are only 5 teams on my list who I'm confident will get to the sweet 16. Gonna be a lot of upsets this year, should be sick.

Lux said...

I'm probably going to head up to Boston for the eastern regionals if any of you want to join me. I'll also try to catch some Big East tournament games in NYC.

http://www.stubhub.com/big-east-tournament-tickets/

Matt. said...

Ohio State has wins at Miami (not their fault McClintock is a punk), against Notre Dame, and Butler.

What win does Michigan State and/or PurDon't have. Sorry BC and OK State aren't on the same playing field as three of Ohio State's wins.

Lux has 3 Big10 teams in his poll. Is it just me or does that seem like way too many?

Lux said...

3 isn't too many if my other options are Arizona St and a god awful Davidson. The team has been relying so much on Curry that most of them can barely dribble. (no, it wasn't the makers mark Matt, you could have been their 6th man at Jimmy V)

I guess we'll see who's right when Purdue beats Davidson on Saturday.

I also can't wait for the Big East to go 4-5 in the 1st round of the tourney. Who's gonna be the 4th with though, Cuse or ND?

S. Hartzell said...

as if it wasnt bad enough for SEC basketball this season, when teams like Mercer are going into your buildings and getting wins....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/12/18/kennedy.ap/index.html

not good.

M. Drury said...

Guys,
Sorry that I have been inactive this week...doesn't sounds like i;ve missed to much. I will come back to life next week and will post my 16 Monday. If you want one from this week I will post that once I get back.


Dur