I dont think it's fair to punish Memphis to the extent of dropping them out of your Final Four/#1 seed discussion because they're getting atleast one of them come tourney time.
As far as Texas goes, don't they play on the road at Kansas State tonight (big Monday)? I dont see the longhorns winning that game, just to give you my early morning lean. The Michael Beasely Show dropped another 40+ point, 12+ rebound night on Saturday.
Shocking that Southern Cal and Arizona both find their way onto your poll when in reality they're both squarely on the bubble just to get in to the damn thing.
I don't care if Memphis is a 1 seed, I'm not projecting the seeds. I'm just saying who will be around for the sweet 16 and then ranking the order of the most likely to get to the elite 8.
I dropped Memphis because they lost at home to a team they should have beat by 12. They were outrebounded by a team that can't rebound and their free throw problems were finally a problem. That's why I hesitated ever having them at 1 in my poll.
As for USC and Arizona, they're not a lock yet but unless they lose every game the next 3 weeks, they're in the tourney. Unfortunately they'll probably be in some tough 8-9 games but hopefully they'll be in Tenn's region.
I hear ya on Beasley but Baylor still won. Texas will win tonight.
agree to disagree on pretty much everything you said. It's as if every basketball team below the Mason-Dixon line doesn't register with you Chris. Tennessee is a complete team with one heck of a coach (and nutjob--did you see him feel up Erin Andrews during halftime interview?).
as far as Texas is concerned, well, we all saw their coach get escorted off the court in Atlanta in 2005, and the other contender in the Big XII, Kansas, is led by a guy in Bill Self that has laid egg after egg in the NCAAs....did someone say Bucknell?
The state of Tennessee has 3 legitimate final four teams in TENN, MEM, and VAN. You heard it here first folks.
I have Tenn and Memphis at 4/5, how am I not registering that? Texas has beaten UCLA, Kansas and your precious Tenn by 19. Case closed in my opinion.
Why don't you post your poll so I have something to compare.
Did you guys know that Drake starts 2 walk ons? Not saying that as a diss, just saying.
Hartzell, you're using 05 atlanta region as a reason to discount Texas's coach? Coach K was also escorted off of that court.
You know who beat Durant and Texas last year in the 2nd round? Yup, USC. Then they lost to UNC's Hansborough and Lawson after being up 16 at the half. Add in Mayo and Jefferson plus one of the toughest schedules in the country, what do you get? Less votes than BYU in the AP poll this week.
Drake plays methodical, old school basketball but any teams with athletic shot creators like USC, KSU, Texas, Tenn etc would beat them by 12. Does anyone disagree?
I don't disagree with your statements per se, because I think Drake's style will actually help them in March. Southern Cal will also benefit from having played in a bunch of first-team-to-60-wins contests in Pac10 play.
If Memphis and North Carolina think they can stroll into the tourney and consistently win by scoring 80+ each night, they have got another thing coming.
I have been on the cusp of ranking the bulldogs for a couple of weeks. with those ahead of them losing, they are looking better and better.
My big question for them is how are they going to respond in the tournament. they're going to get an interesting draw, most likely settling in as a 5 or 6 seed. Which means they get a mid major (and mid majors always step up their game to battle zaga) and then get a 3 or 4 seed which could be a dangerous big program. So I continue to lose sleep over what they will end up doing.
One thing is for sure, we started with four teams who I thought were locks for the final four. That is gone completely. Everyone is vulnerable, and each week gets better and better as we inch closer to the tournament.
And while I am completely looking forward to the tournament, I am really psyched for some of these conference tournaments. What a year it would be to go to the Staples Center for four days and absorb it all.
Seriously, where is Dru? He is tapering off worse than the Atlantic 10.
Lux, I think that you are right, they should hand out the best picture five years later.
No Country is the most overrated film of the year and to diss PT on every award (directing, picture, adapted screenplay) for his masterpiece was a huge blunder by the academy. To be frank, There Should Be Blood.
If anyone wants a great deal, sell Duke on winning the tourney and buy Texas. Texas is 24 to 1 and Duke is like 10 to 1. Might as well pick up some Tenn also, it's also trading below Duke. Gtown also looks good, it's half of Tenn.
Sorry guys I have been swamped at work. I will try and make a comeback for the remainder of the season.
Lux I would agree sell Duke they have peeked and aren't going to do that well in the tournament...maybe elite eight if the matchups are right. I would also include Lville in the buy category as they have been playing well....Tenn is looking tough, but can tonights game be a let down.
the reason Dru has Butler ranked, and for that matter the only reason Butler has ever received votes in the AP poll for the last two years is quite obvious: A.J. Graves. Just ask Florida about that gangly meth-addict looking baller from the plains. Dude is sick.
as far as Luxy Baby is concerned, since you want to go there, Texas won an impressive road game at the little apple Manhattan, Kansas on the heels of a -gasp- 17 point home win over Oklahoma. Not exactly the Red River Shootout, oops, I mean Rivalry. no guns.
Tennessee, meanwhile, lost on the road to a 24-4 Vandy team by 3 points in a gym where the shot clocks are on the floor--which is elevated from the seats, a la the Golden Gophers, except the 'Dores play in an old opera house, which I guess is partly to blame for why they have the visitor's bench on the baseline under the basket. Oh, and this very close road loss was on the heels of a late-night emotional win on the road over previously unbeaten and #1 Memphis team.
Lets see what Texas does this weekend when it's their turn to go back to back road games.
I looked at the calendar man we dont actually start these shenanigans until March 20th?! The Championship game is on April 7th. I knew it was a leap year but jeez all of this is starting later and later in the month.
Lux I have had Butler in my 16 just about all season long...so they lost at home to Drake...who before losing a few in the Valley one had one loss this season. Butler will be able to play well in the tournament and I see them as a sweet 16 team. AJ Graves is tough and they have a bunch of players that know how to win. If anything that have more of a reason to be in a power 16 than arizona or k-state.
l-ville i don't see winning 3 in a row either but it might be a good bang for the buck.
Less than a month away for madness...only one more week til championship week begins. Next weekend the championship games will be upon us.
I purpose each members of this blog should have each of there conference tournament champs posted as well...just something really nerdy and radical to do...thoughts?
are you suggesting we pick our conference tournament winners for each conference? Cause that's not crazy. Filling out a women's bracket....now that's crazy.
I'd be open to doing an actual bracket on pac 10, big east, a10, big 12 etc.
Hartzell, Beasley scored 30 and 15 rebounds at home against Texas. It was a good road win and I know Tenn was tired, Vandy is good and the bench is far away blah blah blah but my #1 won and your #1 lost. I wouldn't have said anything but you took K State -1.5 and rode me for having Texas at 1. Tenn did rebound again this game though, some change is afoot.
it's not going to be pasty when Ga Tech rolls into Cameron Indoor and gives the college of New Jersey all it can handle in a possible SU win, definitely willing to take the Jackets +15.....and while I'm at it, let me double up in Florida at Georgia, give me the road Gators in a must-win if they want to see the Dance.
28 comments:
Do u put tenn as numer one like the ap? That is the question.
On another note, the oscars schould be 5 years after the year the nominated films are released.
1. Texas
2. UCLA
3. Kansas
4. Tenn
5. Memphis
6. UNC
7. Duke
8. Stanford
9. Georgetown
10. Gonzaga
11. Wash St
12. UConn
13. USC
14. Lville
15. Kansas St
16. Arizona
I dont think it's fair to punish Memphis to the extent of dropping them out of your Final Four/#1 seed discussion because they're getting atleast one of them come tourney time.
As far as Texas goes, don't they play on the road at Kansas State tonight (big Monday)? I dont see the longhorns winning that game, just to give you my early morning lean. The Michael Beasely Show dropped another 40+ point, 12+ rebound night on Saturday.
Shocking that Southern Cal and Arizona both find their way onto your poll when in reality they're both squarely on the bubble just to get in to the damn thing.
I don't care if Memphis is a 1 seed, I'm not projecting the seeds. I'm just saying who will be around for the sweet 16 and then ranking the order of the most likely to get to the elite 8.
I dropped Memphis because they lost at home to a team they should have beat by 12. They were outrebounded by a team that can't rebound and their free throw problems were finally a problem. That's why I hesitated ever having them at 1 in my poll.
As for USC and Arizona, they're not a lock yet but unless they lose every game the next 3 weeks, they're in the tourney. Unfortunately they'll probably be in some tough 8-9 games but hopefully they'll be in Tenn's region.
I hear ya on Beasley but Baylor still won. Texas will win tonight.
agree to disagree on pretty much everything you said. It's as if every basketball team below the Mason-Dixon line doesn't register with you Chris. Tennessee is a complete team with one heck of a coach (and nutjob--did you see him feel up Erin Andrews during halftime interview?).
as far as Texas is concerned, well, we all saw their coach get escorted off the court in Atlanta in 2005, and the other contender in the Big XII, Kansas, is led by a guy in Bill Self that has laid egg after egg in the NCAAs....did someone say Bucknell?
The state of Tennessee has 3 legitimate final four teams in TENN, MEM, and VAN. You heard it here first folks.
UCLA still wins it all.
I have Tenn and Memphis at 4/5, how am I not registering that? Texas has beaten UCLA, Kansas and your precious Tenn by 19. Case closed in my opinion.
Why don't you post your poll so I have something to compare.
Did you guys know that Drake starts 2 walk ons? Not saying that as a diss, just saying.
Hartzell, you're using 05 atlanta region as a reason to discount Texas's coach? Coach K was also escorted off of that court.
You know who beat Durant and Texas last year in the 2nd round? Yup, USC. Then they lost to UNC's Hansborough and Lawson after being up 16 at the half. Add in Mayo and Jefferson plus one of the toughest schedules in the country, what do you get? Less votes than BYU in the AP poll this week.
1 Tennessee
2 Memphis
3 UCLA
4 North Carolina
5 Kansas
6 Texas
7 Duke
8 Stanford
9 Georgetown
10 Wisconsin
11 Drake
12 Vanderbilt
13 UConn
14 Louisville
15 Xavier
16 Kansas State
I'm thinking K State beats the Longhorns tonight. What are you thinking. K State -3, I like.
Drake plays methodical, old school basketball but any teams with athletic shot creators like USC, KSU, Texas, Tenn etc would beat them by 12. Does anyone disagree?
I don't disagree with your statements per se, because I think Drake's style will actually help them in March. Southern Cal will also benefit from having played in a bunch of first-team-to-60-wins contests in Pac10 play.
If Memphis and North Carolina think they can stroll into the tourney and consistently win by scoring 80+ each night, they have got another thing coming.
1- ucla
2- tennessee
3- memphis
4- north carolina
5- texas
6- kansas
7- stanford
8- duke
9- georgetown
10- xavier
11- louisville
12- connecticut
13- wisconsin
14- gonzaga
15- vanderbilt
16- indiana
Matt, where did zaga come from on your poll?
It doesn't matter if beasley scores 50 if his team doesn't play defense. Hi hartzell
I have been on the cusp of ranking the bulldogs for a couple of weeks. with those ahead of them losing, they are looking better and better.
My big question for them is how are they going to respond in the tournament. they're going to get an interesting draw, most likely settling in as a 5 or 6 seed. Which means they get a mid major (and mid majors always step up their game to battle zaga) and then get a 3 or 4 seed which could be a dangerous big program. So I continue to lose sleep over what they will end up doing.
One thing is for sure, we started with four teams who I thought were locks for the final four. That is gone completely. Everyone is vulnerable, and each week gets better and better as we inch closer to the tournament.
And while I am completely looking forward to the tournament, I am really psyched for some of these conference tournaments. What a year it would be to go to the Staples Center for four days and absorb it all.
Seriously, where is Dru? He is tapering off worse than the Atlantic 10.
Lux, I think that you are right, they should hand out the best picture five years later.
English Patient.
No Country is the most overrated film of the year and to diss PT on every award (directing, picture, adapted screenplay) for his masterpiece was a huge blunder by the academy. To be frank, There Should Be Blood.
If anyone wants a great deal, sell Duke on winning the tourney and buy Texas. Texas is 24 to 1 and Duke is like 10 to 1. Might as well pick up some Tenn also, it's also trading below Duke. Gtown also looks good, it's half of Tenn.
1. UCLA
2. UNC
3. Tenn
4. Texas
5. Memphis
6. Kansas
7. Stanford
8. Duke
9. UConn
10. Wisconsin
11. Georgetown
12. Lville
13. Butler
14. Xavier
15. Gonzaga
16. Vandy
Sorry guys I have been swamped at work. I will try and make a comeback for the remainder of the season.
Lux I would agree sell Duke they have peeked and aren't going to do that well in the tournament...maybe elite eight if the matchups are right. I would also include Lville in the buy category as they have been playing well....Tenn is looking tough, but can tonights game be a let down.
Lville is good but I don't see them winning 3 in a row.
Butler Dru? I don't understand how you or the AP poll has them so high considering they just lost to Drake at home.
Yeah I'd have to agree with the Butler comment that Lux made. Dru, if you are going to continue down this path get out of the way of the big boys.
My 1 seed beat kansas state away and hartzell's 1 seed lost to vandy away.
SNAP
the reason Dru has Butler ranked, and for that matter the only reason Butler has ever received votes in the AP poll for the last two years is quite obvious: A.J. Graves. Just ask Florida about that gangly meth-addict looking baller from the plains. Dude is sick.
as far as Luxy Baby is concerned, since you want to go there, Texas won an impressive road game at the little apple Manhattan, Kansas on the heels of a -gasp- 17 point home win over Oklahoma. Not exactly the Red River Shootout, oops, I mean Rivalry. no guns.
Tennessee, meanwhile, lost on the road to a 24-4 Vandy team by 3 points in a gym where the shot clocks are on the floor--which is elevated from the seats, a la the Golden Gophers, except the 'Dores play in an old opera house, which I guess is partly to blame for why they have the visitor's bench on the baseline under the basket. Oh, and this very close road loss was on the heels of a late-night emotional win on the road over previously unbeaten and #1 Memphis team.
Lets see what Texas does this weekend when it's their turn to go back to back road games.
I looked at the calendar man we dont actually start these shenanigans until March 20th?! The Championship game is on April 7th. I knew it was a leap year but jeez all of this is starting later and later in the month.
Lux I have had Butler in my 16 just about all season long...so they lost at home to Drake...who before losing a few in the Valley one had one loss this season. Butler will be able to play well in the tournament and I see them as a sweet 16 team. AJ Graves is tough and they have a bunch of players that know how to win. If anything that have more of a reason to be in a power 16 than arizona or k-state.
l-ville i don't see winning 3 in a row either but it might be a good bang for the buck.
Less than a month away for madness...only one more week til championship week begins. Next weekend the championship games will be upon us.
I purpose each members of this blog should have each of there conference tournament champs posted as well...just something really nerdy and radical to do...thoughts?
are you suggesting we pick our conference tournament winners for each conference? Cause that's not crazy. Filling out a women's bracket....now that's crazy.
That was my suggestion..each conference tournament winner..therefore picking all of the auto bids to the tourney.
give me cornell in the Ivy
I'd be open to doing an actual bracket on pac 10, big east, a10, big 12 etc.
Hartzell, Beasley scored 30 and 15 rebounds at home against Texas. It was a good road win and I know Tenn was tired, Vandy is good and the bench is far away blah blah blah but my #1 won and your #1 lost. I wouldn't have said anything but you took K State -1.5 and rode me for having Texas at 1. Tenn did rebound again this game though, some change is afoot.
i will also take cornell in the ivy league. thats a no-brainer, don't they have that about wrapped up?
i'm good with doing major tourney brackets as well as conference winners. that pac10 conference might be a good warmup for what follows the next week.
such a pasty schedule tonight.
it's not going to be pasty when Ga Tech rolls into Cameron Indoor and gives the college of New Jersey all it can handle in a possible SU win, definitely willing to take the Jackets +15.....and while I'm at it, let me double up in Florida at Georgia, give me the road Gators in a must-win if they want to see the Dance.
USA today featured Gottlieb in an article yesterday. Seriously? The Sports Editor should be fired.
46% FT Percentage (career)
College Basketball "Expert"
Really?
Is everyone still doubting USC? Final 4 potential if they're not an 8/9 seed.
Post a Comment