Sunday, December 16, 2007

Week 6

Lville continues to impress and the 8th best team in the Pac 10 destroyed Matt B's 16th pick by over 20. Disappointing loss for Oregon in overtime and Tenn had a huge win over Western Kentucky, I'm very impressed.

In Big East news, St Johns lost to Niagara and Depaul lost to Illinois Chicago after taking Vandy to overtime earlier in the week.

"Oh, Eddie... If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now."

28 comments:

Matt. said...

I wasn't planning on posting this week, but given the fact that 3 of my teams went down yesterday, I have felt compelled to re-post.

Give me the heat on Louisville. They are bad right now. Still think they'll be back in March, but right now they scream bubble (and possibly some help, especially on D).

Your Early Holiday Gift:

1- North Carolina
2- Memphis
3- Texas
4- Kansas
5- UCLA
6- Duke
7- Georgetown
8- Marquette
9- Tennessee
10- Michigan State
11- Indiana
12- Arizona
13- Washington State
14- Gonzaga
15- Texas A&M
16- Butler

Big games this week:

Bradley at Butler (wed)
Arizona at UNLV (wed)
Duke vs. Pitt (thurs)
Zaga at Oklahoma (thurs)
Citadel at Washington State (thurs)


Take a look at Saturday's schedule, there are some amazing games. Should know a lot more after this week.

Lux said...

Citadel at Washington State (thurs)

-Funny

Lux said...

1. Texas
2. UCLA
3. UNC
4. Kansas
5. Memphis
6. Duke
7. USC
8. Wash St
9. GTown
10. Gonzaga
11. Marquette
12. Mich St
13. Arizona
14. Texas AM
15. Indiana
16. Oregon

I didn't really need to repost considering I only had to move Oregon a few spots down but here ya go. Before Matt gives me shit about keeping Oregon at 16, they missed a free throw to win on the road against Nebraska. A team that has beaten ASU and Rutgers plus Oregon once again showed their ability to come back from huge deficits. That's a huge quality for a tourney team and another reason why I think most of you are ridiculously shortsighted for ranking UCLA anywhere outside of your top 3.

I don't know how Matt ranks a team with a recent loss to wright st but does his poll ever make much sense? Butler is solid and the same team that went far last year but a recent loss to wright st is a recent loss to wright st.

Matt. said...

Butler has all the same guys back as last year, a team that almost went to the Elite 8 (lost to Florida in a game they were in), plays a tougher out of conference schedule than Washington State, Michigan State, and Indiana, and has wins over Ohio State, Florida State, and Texas Tech. No heavy weights fine, but who has Oregon beat. I concede that they won at K-State which is a good W, but the next two best they played, they lost.

I dont mind you keeping Oregon in to be honest. I wasn't planning on punishing Oregon for that loss really but I had them at 13, and went with them not being a 4 seed this week. Just don't go poking at my poll when I insert Butler, because they are a good team, and Dru had them in last week directly following the loss to Wright State. I brought Butler back after a good win against FSU. So I guess I asked myself this (and not with just these two teams): who looks more like a sweet 16 team, one who beats FSU or one who loses to Nebraska? I'm not that high on Nebraska, and certainly not high on Rutgers, but I digress.

I continue to find inaccuracies and inconsistencies with everything you post. Clean up your act already, we're almost at the midpoint mark of the season.

Devendorf is out for the year, get your digs in now, its going to be an interesting year now that all we play is sophomores and freshmen.

Lux said...

Matt,

Did you just use Dru to defend your 16th pick? I've never seen that from you before, I must have you in a corner.

Lux said...

Matt,

I think Cuse is done which is unfortunate, I'm sorry dude. I also think BE bids will drop to 7 as a result.

Matt. said...

lets see how the team responds before we write them off. i like devendorf but he's not a great defender, and he is the second leading scorer, but five guys are averaging double digits. just need a guy who can play defense. 10 wins in conference is still attainable. I might be saying all this to make myself feel better, or it might be the truth. Wait and see.

Wasn't using Dru to help sell my point. Butler is my case, the team, the wins, the position they are in right now. You are so focused on my list, that you are missing other things and your decline is obvious.

The Citadel thing was serious. Over half of the Top 25 will challenge themselves this week, including schedule paper weights Georgetown and Pittsburgh. Just wanted to highlight one of the matchups I was most looking forward to this week.

Anonymous said...

Guys sorry I have posted yet this week. I'm out in steamboat ripping up some nasty powder. The post will be up tonight. I am a bit out of the loop this week, not getting to see games, but I will be watching Kansas at GT tonight. Jayhawks be wary of the thriller dome.

Anonymous said...

Weekly Picks:

1. UNC
2. Memphis
3. UCLA
4. Texas
5. Kansas
6. Washington St
7. Georgetown
8. Duke
9. Michigan St
10. Texas A & M
11. Tennessee
12. Marquette
13. Zags
14. Butler
15. Indiana
16. Arizona

Not a lot changed this week in the rankings, we will see what happens at the end of the week. A few early Christmas gifts with the games later this week and this weekend.

Matt thanks copying my butler pick and adding this to your 16 after I had them in last week. Devendorf will not hurt your boys that much he is just a pure shooter. The freshman will need to step up.

Also, Lux USC at 7. There is no way that they will be a 2 seed in the tournament and they are certainly not a top ten team right now. Yes this have played a tough schedule so far, but as a 2 seed that is a bit of a reach.

M. Drury
M. Drury

Lux said...

When they beat UCLA once during the season and come in 2nd in the Pac 10, thats not a 2 seed?

They're the 2nd best team in the Pac 10, definitely a 2 seed IMO.

Anonymous said...

Lux they will not beat UCLA this year or finish second in the PAC 10. They are to young and do not have the discpline to stay in with experienced teams. They will finish no higher than 3rd in the PAC 10 and may finish as low as 6. I did say a few weeks ago that they were playing well but not well enought to be considered the second best team in the PAC 10, especially when your best two players are freshman.

Lux said...

Mayo and Hackett are 20.

The same age as Augustin who was the main reason Texas beat UCLA a few weeks ago.

We'll see who's right though, I don't think anyone is giving them enough credit and they're getting stronger quickly. Playing Miami (Ohio), Southern Ill, Oklahoma, Kansas and Memphis will do that.

Pac 10 will be a dogfight so I think talent is going to be much more important than it usually is during conference play.

Will USC get to the elite 8? Probably not but that doesn't mean they're not a 2 seed.

Matt. said...

Lux,

Is IMO the modern version of In My Opinion, and did you really use that on this site. I thought you were better than that. Too much Gary Parrish in your life? How many times do you email each other a week?

The 2nd Place finisher in the Pac10 warrants a 2 easily. I just don't know if that will be USC. Let these guys play some conference games before we jump to those types of conclusions. But if you value USC as the second best Pac10 team then put them as a 2, no problem from me. USC is solid, and you can go either way with them. One can come up with valid arguments pointing that they'll be really good, then there's ones that state they are't that great.

I just didn't insert them this week because they didn't play. Can't do that. We'll see how this week pans out.

USC is not very deep especially with Cunningham going down for the year, so that has to be worrisome.

I give them a good shot in the Gaelin Center against UCLA, but they have to be playing better at that point.

Matt. said...

I am excited for tomorrow's slate:

Duke/Pitt from MSG
Citadel at Washington State

Huge games.

Lux said...

How are you not joking about the citadel game?

Matt. said...

It's the last true test for Wazzou before conference play begins. They'll beat Idaho State and North Carolina A&T with ease.

Lux said...

Yea, Wazzou at Gonzaga wasn't a test.

Matt. said...

Probably why I chose the words "last" "before conference play".

I think I chose "last" not "first" to pay respect to the Gonzaga game, which is what led me to finally rank them.

Little defensive yea? Was I right with the IMO..you never answered the question.

Good games tonight for real.

Matt. said...

Has anyone else seen this yet:

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/polls/rpi/index1

Should shake up after Saturday

Matt. said...

Just want to throw this out there, I don't think it would happen, but more of an as if I will pose towards you all.

If Michigan State can beat Texas, then MSU, UT, and UCLA would all be 1-1 against each other. So in what order would you all rank them. Texas would be the one that played them both on road sites, not neutral courts like MSU and UCLA played.

Down to the wire in MSG.

Matt. said...

Where has the Big 12 come from? Some really big wins by this conference this season, tonight getting another one. While they really dont have anymore than 3 top 16 teams (a&m,texas,kansas) their mid-level teams are beating every other conferences teams of the same caliber. There are some bad squads, but Oklahoma State as your worst team at this point isn't really the end of the world. It will be interesting to see how that shakes out, but they might be up to 6 or 7 bids at this point.

Yikes, not a big fan of that conference. I personally think that conference play will shake out the contenders vs. the pretenders but these guys can play.

Looks like I'll have to insert Pittsburgh now.

Washington State took care of business again, looks like they'll enter Pac10 play undefeated. Hope they don't pull a Clemson.

Matt.

Lux said...

I just don't think Citadel is a test. If I remember correctly, you made fun of them a few weeks ago so I just wanted to make it clear about your consistency.

Matt, yes IMO means "in my opinion".

Appreciate your comments on the Big 12, remember when I was talking about them being the 2nd best conference a few weeks ago?

Matt. said...

How can The Citadel be serious? Of course they are a joke. Still like the third or fourth best team Wazzou has played all year, but anyways.

You made your comments after the upper echelon Big 12 teams got some wins, and in hindsight you were probably setting the conference up to make it look like your Pac10 was even stronger for playing them and in turn losing to them.

I don't think we'll be discussing Nebraska in a couple of weeks, but we shall see.

Lux said...

You got me, damn you.

Will you be ranking Pitt?

Matt. said...

Yeah it looks like it. Wins on neutral against Duke, at Washington (I know they aren't that good), Oklahoma State (same applies). That win against Duke puts them up there, shows they can get it done on a neutral. Not sure I want to rank them, I'm pretty sure everyone knows my sentiments towards that program (maybe the only undefeated Big East team I always refuse to rank, or wait the longest to rank) but that win does vault them into the Sweet 16 for now.

The loss of Mike Cook for the year (man is this the year for the ACL in the Big East) does not help a whole lot. But I'm not going to punish them for that.

I'm not high on Zaga's loss to Oklahoma, should have been 8 or 9 if OU could make a FT late in the game. They are looking shaky early. OU might be on the rise.

What about you Lux, will you rank Pitt, or will you avoid doing so.

Lux said...

Depends what happens this weekend.

When Tenn loses, you'll have a slot open and I won't.

Matt. said...

If Tennessee loses what will you do with Xavier?

You'll keep Gonzaga around? For what reasons exactly?

Lux said...

I forgot about Gonzaga but the spread is tenn+4 today, not a good sign.